Notices

i'm an idiot...

Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i'm an idiot...

got out of detox yesterday, then today had my washer repossed...can't get rid of my destructive boyfriend and turned to the bottle, what the hell do i do
Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Not an idiot, just human. Good luck getting the toxins out of your life.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Detox is only the first step to sobriety. Did you have a plan for when you got out?

I would try to make sure it is only a one day slip and not a full on binge of weeks/months. Make a recovery plan, and stick to it. I would also recommend getting a therapist that specilizes in addiction. Try to change your daily routine to help you stay away from drinking. If you get a craving, have a list planned out of things to do instead such as cleaning, shopping, taking a walk, writing, coming on SR, going to a meeting, call a friend, etc.

As for the boyfriend, is his name on the lease? If not, tell him to leave or call the cops to have him removed.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I'm not someone that is in AA, but maybe you might want to look into it.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did the same thing before, over and over again. I also had the toxic people in my life and I just wasn't ready...but, this last time it got so bad, I actually had a suicide attempt (drunken attempt, but still an attempt) because I was just so hopeless. Coming out of a detox/in patient program and drinking again, almost immediately, is no doubt disheartening.

However, I picked up the pieces because after that, I really knew I could accept step one. Who goes to the hospital, detoxes, and drinks again - and this was the 5th time I had done so! My life was unmanageable and I couldn't control my drinking.

Personally, I made a committment to do 90 meetings in AA in 90 days. That helped tremendously. I didn't think they would do anything and I didn't want to go, but I was so low I had to try something that has proven to work. I'm 97 days clean now and I finally feel in control.

I am also seeing a therpaist and I'm on an anti-craving medication that seems to help as a complement of a program of recovery. I got a sponsor. I did everything I was supposed to do, even though I didn't want to, and it's worked and keeps getting better.

Believe me, I'm the last person who thought I could do this. Give it a shot - you may surprise yourself!

As for the boyfriend - I'm in a relationship like that too...and the more I'm sober, the more I'm figuring out it's not that good and the more confidence I have to change it.

Good luck - you can do anything you want to do!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Google AA meetings in your area. I bet there is one tonight.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you can't stay sober for 24 hours after detox then it may be time to look into inpatent rehab.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

@maylie i didnt have a plan...the detox wasnt planned, they kept me in because i oded on paracetamol and were concerned about my liver damage.
Everytime i call the police to get him removed something bad happens, my house gets vandalised, he continually harsses me etc.
@773niki your story is inspiring hopefully i will get there too.

thanks for all the replies.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Get a personal protection order and get to an AA/NA meeting
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

Tip any Alcohol you have in the house out,dont drink any more of it tonight.

Call the detox centre and tell them what is happening.I assume they gave you an emergency helpline number?

I wish you well.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i was due for a planned detox on a dedicated alcohol ward in the next 8 weeks, so im hoping this is still going ahead...and hopefully ill get a bit more support, rather than just drugs to stop the withdrawals like i had this time.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

toxic boyfriend is gone for good. I've had all the locks changed with the last of my money. He tried to steal it before he went but i stood up to him and told him im not scared anymore ...even tho i was :/
Am half way though the jack trimpey book atm.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It sounds like a great start, pinky.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by pinkyreturns View Post
toxic boyfriend is gone for good. I've had all the locks changed with the last of my money.
Sounds like money well spent. Atta girl!

Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alright Pinky!!! Go Girl.

Can you call Catholic Charities or the Salvation Army? I think rehab would be great for you right now. I've done it twice - once free through Catholic Charities. Get on a waiting list and get in there. Recovery usually happens after rehab at the AA or NA meetings. However, rehab feels like summer camp and gives you time to discover who you are again and get some clean and sober time under your belt. You will also be educated on your disease.

In the meantime, keep your head up and stay away from as much of the dangerous drugs and booze that you can.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We are proud of you, pinky. You didn't give up trying. You can make it through this bad time and have a new life.