Notices

Advise for partner please:(

Old 01-31-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Advise for partner please:(

Ok, im not sure where to post, but I really need help. I feel like Im getting lost amongst the demons of my partner of 10 months...I understand that having a problem with drugs and drinking is HUGE, but believe me, it is HUGE to the person caught up in the whirlwind. I have this amazing guy, who would do anything for me, but can't show any emotion at all...and I can't live without it. He says give him time....He was a meth user for 10 years and has been sober from that for over a year. But he now drinks a huge amount, and occasionally smokes pot. He holds down a job, and is not violent ever. But I feel so alone as he likes to spend days in bed when not working, talking about the old life, and gets agitated when I bring up emotional stuff or how I am feeling about things. What am I to do....and please please dont think Im selfish, or impatient, I just feel very lost in all this. I know it sounds that I am a rescuer, maybe I am. But I also see this beautiful man who has been badly affected by his dad leaving home when he was a child, and now thinks hes worthless and not worthy of love. I dont want to give up on him....but I dont know what to do
Old 01-31-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Jackster

There is a Friends and Family section of this forum where others like you discuss their challenges.

I'm sure glad that neither of my wives ever gave up on me, but I didn't change until I wanted it for myself.

One suggestion is Al-Anon for you and AA or NA for your partner. I've been to Napier, it's a good-sized town that should have meetings.