How do you keep yourself from getting sick?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you keep yourself from getting sick?

My husband has been an addict as long as i've known him. I, myself have battled with addiction all of my life. But for me, it came to a point where I knew I had to stop to save my life. For him, he hasn't wanted to get well yet. I know he is unhappy, but in order to get better HE has to want it. He was an alcoholic, then it switched to Opiates. We have been through it all. We have lost everything, our life right now (financially).. well there is no income. He was never one to "function" while in the throws of addiction. He has really never been one to work. The short times of sobriety he did work and he was happier than ever. I know that he can get better, that's why I am staying. It just seems it's getting harder and harder to keep myself sane. I know that's all I can do until he decides to receive help.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are glad you found us, M4990. Reaching out to a community of people in recovery is one of the best ways you can stay well. When we live with someone in active addiction our lives get smaller and smaller, our spirits grow dim, we forget what joy feels like, and the loneliness can be our worst enemy. When we are isolated we do not receive the life-force others have to give us and the exchange of compassion and caring. And as human beings, we must have those things, for life's challenges can weigh us down. So much so that we feel defeated inside. We stop caring for ourselves. We feel trapped.

As a recovering addict, if you are not attending meetings regularly, you might consider doing so, and supporting other suffering addicts who want what you have: sobriety.

And as the spouse of an addict, you might consider weekly Al-Anon meetings, to allow the divine spirit in the room to bring you an hour of peace and companionship.

If you already attend both meetings, but are still struggling, you might consider service....being the coffee-maker or the person who takes care of the books and pamphlets. And having a sponsor to work through the 12 steps with. The 12 steps are a structured path toward regaining one's self-worth and toward improving one's relationships. It is a very good way to spend one's time while waiting to see if a loved one will find sobriety. It sure beats watching for the next high or the next drunk.

We hope you will feel welcome to post whenever you need to.