Notices

the indomitable alcoholic mind

Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the indomitable alcoholic mind

Three and a half months sober. I am watching the news. My ears perk up when I hear that liquor can now be sold on Sunday. My first thought was Sunday, really? Then I thought now that I have quit drinking we can buy booze on Sunday. Like I am missing out on the convienence of not having to stock up Saturday night.
I do not want to go back to drinking, but only an alcoholic would think this way.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You ought to be down here (Mobile AL), where the city is in full on Mardi Gras mode, and the bars are open 24/7. This is a terrible place to get sober.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I first quit drinking. I would go shopping on Sunday because I knew I would be "safe". Timing is everything. Good thing I quit when I did. No more safe Sundays here in Indiana
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I still notice when booze and beer is on sale. Guess I still am an alcoholic
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is hard to believe that something so destructive still has a place in our everyday thinking. I am really mad at myself because my first thoughts were like 'This is good news" I am such a drunk you know?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

or how about when they come up with a new flavour of vodka that you wanna try and think geez why didnt they have that when i was drinking
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am in awe of alcoholism
My thoughts scare me. First I think how cool booze on Sunday. Then I think it's not cool for me. Followed by remorse. I am alienated to myself.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Escapist... I think you may benefit from some simple SMART approaches regarding, what they call, Encyclopedia of Rational Coping Statements and Disputations. Here is a link...

SMART link

It take some practice but you just demonstrated the point in your last post. You saw the messages you went through. I do the same thing. Now I try to catch words or phrases that put me in a vulnerable spot. I try to replace them with the counter thought that helps me see things better or gain strength.

You may not like the idea... But thought of it as I read your thread.

Ken
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

You are definitely not alone in this. I think things like "Oh, Super Bowl will be a great drink fest because our team isn't in it this year so no one will care about the game" and then remember I don't drink. Or, old drinking buddy is geting married, used to be one of my favorite people to drink with. I think "yay, time to celebrate" and then remember I don't drink. Even though it's been over 6 months I still think like a drinker (and probably always will).
Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are no "safe" days here in the town of Lost Angels. And if I had gone through my stash on Saturday night, I knew what time all of the local liqour stores and grocery stores opened on Sunday morning.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And I also still notice in the grocery store mailers when liqour is on sale and I think "Oh wow, that's a really good deal...Oh Well!"