Notices

Just for today (day 3)

Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just for today (day 3)

Not drinking for a day or two is pretty easy, but even the thought that I won't have another drink for the rest of my life is incomprehensible at this point. I love the taste of an IPA, the feeling I get from a martini, etc. I'm not ready to resolve that I will NEVER touch the stuff again.
But, I don't have to make that kind of commitment. In fact, I can't make that kind of commitment. I can only control what I do today. And today, I won't drink. I read the quote below on SR yesterday and it has really stuck with me:

I cannot not drink for the rest of my life today.
I can only not drink for today today.

At first, this quote struck me because of its awkward grammar. But it has stayed with me because it helped me appreciate the scope and nature of what I need to do. I now truly understand that this is a day-to-day commitment. And with that perspective; I'm sure I can do it. I'm sure we can all do it.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Some people prescribe to the 'I'm never drinking/using again' logic. I'm a day at a time man. Any further ahead than that and the future starts looking scary to me. And eventually all of those odaat's make up a lifetime.

Natom.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm day at a time too.

I cannot think too far ahead.
I start to think about future celebrations where drink maybe involved.

If I start thinking about drinking in the future, or someone asks me, I just say, I'm not sure if I will drink, I will think about it nearer the time.

When the time comes though I have said for that day I won't drink, so I don't.

I think it is a good way to think.
Now when I look back to situations like holidays, birthdays, christmas, events and such like where I did not drink it did not seem a big hardship.

I don't know maybe its a bit like playing mind games with yourself!
Or perhaps its me having a simple mind.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great quote. I'm a one-day-at-a-time type of gal, myself. Sometimes I think I can just have one drink. That's how I know I cannot adopt the "forever or never" logic.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"If I start thinking about drinking in the future, or someone asks me, I just say, I'm not sure if I will drink, I will think about it nearer the time."

I like this logic. It certainly makes you feel like you have some sort of say in the matter.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally get it Soopy!

I'm on day 5 and have been a constant drinker for the past 10+ years. I feel pretty strong so far and have even already avoided temptation right in front of me. But if I go there, and think about never drinking again, it freaks me out! So I bring my thoughts back to just one day at a time.

I find strength with knowing that each day I get stronger and hopefully the desire lessens, even if it's just a little bit.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I can choose to drink or choose not to drink. Today I choose not to drink. I just get thru each day as it comes.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am on day 5 "Again" - I thought I was home free so stopped going to meetings and here I am again. Thankful that I am still here with the opportunity to start over. One day at a time is all I can handle, and with God's help I'll finish this day sober.

Good luck to you....don't stop sharing...it's very important
Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ditto. I am a one-day-at-a-time person too....that is all I can handle at the moment! When I am having a stronger moment, however, I do like to think about how much better my life will be long term to not every drink again.....
Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One day at a time is reality. My phone has been going crazy all day with superbowl sunday invites and lets go out for ufc on saturday. I will cross that bridge when it is saturday bc I know I have to make it through today first. Best of luck to you!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am a day at a time man too. It just makes life so much easier because I can complicate the hell out of scratching my butt