Notices

SAD and addiction

Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SAD and addiction

Hi all:
Moving into my 5th month sober and feel great overall. However, I notice I don't have as much pep and energy as I did a couple of months ago. I feel a bit flatter emotionally, too. I talked with my doctor and he thinks that it could be I'm suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder. Looking back at my life, I think he's right. I've always suffered from depression and cabin fever after Xmas, and probably used that as an excuse to drink myself into hibernation. My question to this group is does anyone else suffer from SAD, and what do you do about it? My doc suggested buying one of those sun lights that tricks the body into believing it's getting sunshine. He claims it's helped other patients. Anyone try one of these and do they work for you?
Looking forward to spring...
Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel better with warm weather and sunlight too.i ve not been dx'd with any sad, but i recognize the difference. I have bright extra desk light at work and keep track of the spring countdown....49 days.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think there are many of us that might not be dx'd as having SAD but suffer from it, I know for me after xmas I feel very much the same way you do although I do not know how to combat it....stay sober....

Pauly
Old 01-30-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there. I too think i suffer from SAD. I am in uk where sunshine is rare!
I bought a lamp in december. and I honestly do feel it is helping me. I use it on my desk at work and its portable.
I am definitely not as depressed as previous years. But there could be other factors too. But I do think its helping
Old 01-30-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been diagnosed with SAD but I agree totally with what has been said about many having it and not being "officially" diagnosed. Living in Vermont, the winter is long and the sun does not shine often. As I, too, have a history of depression/anxiety I wasn't suprised to learn about SAD. I can't afford a fancy light so have the natural lightbulbs cheaper to buy and put in most of the lights in my house. I also try to get outside as much as possible even if the sun isn't shining. I also have to be extra careful with my sobriety as well as my habit of overeating/oversleeping this time of year too!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a similar chat with my doc Shoebox because I have been feeling similar. My doc said he wasn't surprised I felt like that after surmounting a problem like quitting drinking. He has recommended counselling but I have been exercising a bit more the last few days and feel a million times better. I think getting out in the early daylight hours has really helped. I hope you feel better soon x
Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Hypo. I usually run for exercise, and that definitely helps, but my knee is injured so I haven't been able to for several weeks. That's probably not helping, I'm sure...

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I had a similar chat with my doc Shoebox because I have been feeling similar. My doc said he wasn't surprised I felt like that after surmounting a problem like quitting drinking. He has recommended counselling but I have been exercising a bit more the last few days and feel a million times better. I think getting out in the early daylight hours has really helped. I hope you feel better soon x
Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Shoebox is there a gym you can join to just get some exercise, even with your knee, like some low impact stuff? Even maybe hitting the tanning bed for some faux sunshine and vitamin D? Maybe even just treating yourself to something. I get like that too and that's when I need to kick things up a notch and do something different to get my groove back. I hope you're feeling better soon, I was surprised to find that SAD is a true occurrence and I can relate when it rains for days on end here in Florida, no sun, is NO BUENO!!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know that I (along with a lot of Canadians) suffer from lack of sunshine in winter months. January can be very blah and colorless and it's a long month. I do push myself to get out of the house to walk as often as possible. Even a ten minute brisk walk in the cold temperatures helps.