Notices

In AA for wrong reasons?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In AA for wrong reasons?

I started going to meetings again after a few months of being out. My main DOC was and still is marijuana. I know that i can stop drinking when i want and i've proven it over and over again. I never had any benders or extended periods of time drunk. I never had any legal issues or really caused any damage to anything or anyone except my own self and my own future and that was more marijuana / isolation related than anything else. My biggest problem is isolating and the marijuana lets me isolate without becoming too bored or depressed. I go to AA because i can relate to the feelings of hopelessness, fear of people and insecurity. Sometimes i feel like i dont belong there tho. A lot of times i feel like the guy from Fight Club who went to support groups and pretended to suffer from whatever the group was for just to feel a part of or to fit in. I really do get something from the meetings. they remind me not to get too absorbed in myself and they help me feel a part of the world again. They give me a reason to get out of the house and not just sit around and smoke pot all day. I certainly can relate to being uncomfortable in my own skin. I guess my question is do you think I should feel wierd or guilty going when i know that others suffer from a much more serious degree of addiction than I? I dont know the feeling of waking up feeling like death. I just know the feeling of not wanting to deal with life and resorting to a habit / isolation to get by.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

delusional thinking....

my alcoholism showed up in my weed smoking....

have you given up the weed yet?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Here's a thought...

Maybe you should volunteer to help out at some sort of civic or sports organization. Maybe that would give you the positive social interaction you need, and also do something good for your community.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So are you going to AA and working the program? If so, I don't see a problem. We have several people at our meetings who solely identify as addicts. They're welcome. They usually share in a general way about "using".
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also, if it's an open meeting, you don't have to be an alcoholic.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i was clean for a week and then last night i broke down and smoked a little bit at night before bed.

I always identify as an alcoholic and and just say drinking instead of smoking when i share. I feel like I'm not being honest tho. And i feel like some people can tell and get upset.

I really am being honest when i say im not addicted to alcohol. I can pick it up or put it down. I rarely crave it and never had a blackout. When i do drink i drink quickly tho. I think it goes back to the isolation cause I feel uncomfortable with people and alcohol helps so i try to feel comfortable quickly.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you tried NA? If so, what do you get out of AA that you don't out of AA? Or is it more due to convenience and availablity of meetings?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You would probably get more answers in the 12 step support section. The only harm I could see is if you tried to be/get a sponsor.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wouldn't have a problem with it if you were at one of my meetings.