Notices

Sober from one and addicted to another

Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Sober from one and addicted to another

So I am 8 months sober from Alcohol. ( My main addiction) .

Along the way I injured my foot and was prescribed norco that only worked for a short period of time. Then the Dr gave me perc 10.

Anyways I was up to 8 percs a day. last week I was away from the house and didn't have any, by the night I was feeling horrible / sore and I couldn't sleep. Tossed and turned. this is when I knew there was an issue.

So far I have tapered to 4 a day . ( well today will be the first day with only 4)

I am stopping this and never going back. I see horror stories of people taking 20+ a day. How the heck can someone take 20?? I guess it's the same way i got to 8.

I'm going to taper to 3 by the end of the week. I feel quitting from 3 a day won't be as bad from 8 or I'm hoping that it will be minimal.

Anyways I'm glad I have a place I can vent about this and find support.

This is the place that helped me get sober from alcohol the 10 times I've quit.

This 8 months is the longest I've stayed away from alcohol and I feel good in that aspect.

Although the thought of a glass of wine every now and then when I'm out to eat always crosses my mind.

Am I right about quitting from a lesser amount ? Will it be easier or am I just kidding my self?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

I would ask my doctor how they recommend me discontinuing my use of the painkillers. WD is no fun at all but if you are working with a Dr. they will make it manageable.

Congrats on your sobriety and desire to quit. Be sure and keep in mind that using in one form or another is just a symptom of a greater issue. There is always a why behind getting hooked on a substance.

I wish you the best and you are doing the right thing by asking for help.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Have you told your Doc you are in recovery?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Have you told your Doc you are in recovery?
He knows I was a heavy drinker at one time and now I don't drink.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

The thing is, I've only been taking the perc for 3-4 months. I like taking it, but I don't crave it. Just feel real bad when I don't have it.

Why do they prescribe stuff that can get you addicted in such a short time?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

Originally Posted by Music man View Post
Why do they prescribe stuff that can get you addicted in such a short time?
Because our society expects an instant "fix" to whatever ails them when they go to the Dr. and the Dr. obliges them with little thought to the long term implications. Its truly an epidemic right now and is only getting worse.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Dr's, Iinsurance and drug Co's are in bed together!

Hi Music Man... here in the states Dr's get kickbacks from pharmacuetical co's, so they are quick to write a prescription.

My Mother (god rest her soul) was taking 14 prescriptions before she died. Once she was diagnosed with ALS (hideous disease) and lost her ability to speak, I started taking her to her Dr appt's. When I realized how many pills he was feeding her, I took the list to an appt and asked him to explain to me what each pill was for. He got all pissed off and pulled the GOD complex on me and would not even look me in the eye! When I researched the stuff she was taking online, I found that there were many bad side effects from the interaction of all those pills. I still believe that those issues contributed to her contracting ALS. She begged me not to confront him because he was keeping her alive! She was from the generation that trust their Dr's no matter what. I still have guilt because I backed down from that jerk.....

Needless to say, I DO NOT trust Dr's because of this. I'll say one more thing...
Drug Companies would go OUT OF BUISINESS IF THEY CURED US!!!! They are trying to keep us on their POISON for the rest of our lives, so they can line their pockets.

Sorry for the rant but this is a trigger for me.......

Congratulations on your sobriety and I hope that you can get off the pain killers w/o too much trouble.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

To be fair tho, does 'I used to be a heavy drinker' really give an accurate picture MM?
I know we all tend to downplay stuff but even the best Dr in the world relies a lot on patient disclosure.

I know there are bad doctors out there - and doctors who are good ones, but know little about addiction - but who knows?

you may have been prescribed something else if you'd reminded your Dr at the time of the length and breadth of your addictive history.

Hope...Ok I'm not American and it seems my health care infrastructure is quite different, ...but I owe the quality of life I have now to responsible medical input, and if I'd seen a Dr when I was trying to detox I'd be a lot better off than I am now.

I'd hate for newcomers to be put off seeking help.

I believe there are good doctors around...if you're prepared to spend some time and effort in finding a good one, and in being honest with them.

D
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of good points here.

Yes, the pharmaceutical companies care only about making money and I don't believe they have any interest in curing people. I think it's sad that we cannot create a pain-killer or sleeping-pill that would help people without causing addiction, but that's the way it is. And, Dee is right about being really up-front if you're concerned about taking pain-killers. Doctors are not always the best listeners so we do have to speak up and be clear.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

So I made an apt with an addiction DR. For tomorrow.

On my way to stopping yet another addiction.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My Dr is great. I trust her, however I still google the medications she put me on and ask lots of questions when I am there. She is patient and responsive and has helped me. Not all Drs care for the kickbacks for drug companies. Some became a dr to help people.

For example, last time I had a visit and slipped up and drank the night before. I wanted to hide it from her, but decided to try honesty. She told me it wasn't right to be embarrassed about poor choices leading to poor health, what is more troubling is the people who try to hide it from her. I knew I picked a good one as soon as she said that.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

So I'm noticing that I have more of a dependency than addiction.

My apt with my addiction DR is in 2 hours.

Hope with his help he can fix me.

Till I find another thing to be addicted to.

This seriously started as a legitimate thing and really still is. I only take 5 a day. that is almost exactly how it was prescribed.

And it's only been a few months, not like my drinking was for years and years and I was so sick of it.

Truthfully I'm not sick of this yet, just don't want to get to that point.

50 mg oxy a day, seems like very little compared to what I've read but I know it's super bad because it keeps me having to use it and I would be at 100mg in no time.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes with your appointment

D
Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Music, glad you're getting yourself back on track. That stuff is super addictive. I used to think the same about pills also when I heard in rehab how many pills people used to "eat" a day, wow!! But just like alcohol, I can't believe I used to drink all day, morning, noon and night. I don't ever want to do that again either. Good luck with your plan and hope you can get back on track and stay there. Keep posting.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

So I've made it 50+ hours since I last used.

I'm kickin this for good.

Still feel bad but not like yesterday. I almost feel like I could go outside. But The sun is so bright I might wait another day.

Hope I can go to work tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Update on this thread.

I haven't taken any pills since last Wednesday. there was 3 days of hard detox.

I did it and it's over. I'll never do that again. But be it known I went to a DR who specialized in this. He gave me things to sleep through most of it, and I did.

It's weird how the detox symptoms just kind of fade away rather then disappear. There was a point I couldn't even lift my head. then 3 days later I was able to return to work. in about 90% condition. However I did work the whole day . by day 4 I was just a bit on edge. Day 5 everything is gone.

You might think that these pills have you in jail, but it's just a short time.

I feel good and I will never return to that jail again.