Notices

New and Day 6 of Sobriety

Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New and Day 6 of Sobriety

Hi:
I'm brand new here. I am an alcoholic. I had accepted this fact for quite some time, but since I was "high functioning", I didn't "feel" like doing anything. I used to be addicted to Vicodin, went into rehab back in Jun 2009 and have been clean from that since. Then in about Jan. 2010 I picked up alcohol. Didn't drink every day at first, but now 3 years later, I was drinking at least 1 1/2 - 2 liters of wine every single day. And if the liquor store was closed, I'd drink some vodka and OJ. Due to other circumstances (not to do with my drinking) my children and I had to move in with my parents in Oct 2012. Since that time they've had 2 "talks" with me. First, they made me see an addiction councilor, but the last one was the worst. I was beyond pissed both times they did this, but then something changed. After a few days something they said really stuck with me. See, my older sister is a raging alcoholic (what I call completely non-functional), and we used to look a lot alike. But now after decades of very hard drinking she looks like complete and utter crap. My Mom said to look in the mirror because I was well on the way to looking like her. I'd been avoiding the mirror at all costs before then, but I did look, I took a hard look, and she was absolutely right! That scared the crap out of me. So, this "talk" took place on Martin Luther King day, by Thursday, I stopped drinking and began exercising instead. I knew I absolutely needed something to take place of my drinking, and something that will keep my mind completely off of it, and not only does exercise do that, but it makes me feel better. This is long and all I wish to write for now, but I wanted to finally tell someone that I am SOBER!! My parents are still hiding the booze from me. And I'm not ready to tell anyone else yet.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations for being sober!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR jajola - congrats on six says

D
Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

exercise exercise and more exercise...it will really help trust me - I am almost a month sober and you should see some of my early posts - you would think I would never make it. Keep it up!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi jajola. We're happy to have you join our family. This is a great place with all sorts of support, hope, and encouragement. I felt so alone when I first tried to quit - coming here made all the difference to me.

Congratulations on your six sober days.