Notices

Hello! New here and just want some support.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Hello! New here and just want some support.

Hello,

I have a big problem with my husband who is drinking far too much and life has become unbearable for my three girls, grandson and I. Just came here for support.

I look forward to getting know you all
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

First off, you cannot make him want to stop drinking, he has to want that on his own. Second, your first priority should be for you and your children/grandchild to be safe and secure.

I'd suggest an al anon meeting to talk to people who have been in your shoes. Also, here is a link to the friends and family forum where people in your situation can advise you.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree, Alanon helps so many people, you might think seriously about giving it a shot. I hope things calm down for you in the future, I know how hard it can be to live with an active alcoholic. You can't change him, he has to really want it. All you can do is control / change your ways of reacting to his behavior. And you can come here for support. Check out the friends and family section when you can - its also very helpful. Hugs
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Least for replying. I have asked him to seek help but alas he is in denial. He is not violent but life is tough and has a bad affect on us all.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
I agree, Alanon helps so many people, you might think seriously about giving it a shot. I hope things calm down for you in the future, I know how hard it can be to live with an active alcoholic. You can't change him, he has to really want it. All you can do is control / change your ways of reacting to his behavior. And you can come here for support. Check out the friends and family section when you can - its also very helpful. Hugs
Hi thanks for replying! I am just browsing the forum and have come across the family section. Tis a sad situation and I know we need help to try to sort this out.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It will take time. Make sure to take care if yourself first and your children. He will have to come to his own conclusion in order to quit, as you know. Like I said I hope things improve I feel your pain as I have totally been on both sides.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi

I am in the UK too.
There are a few of us here.
The people that post in friends and family are very wise and have lots of sound advice and experience to share.

I just wanted to make you feel welcome and part of our family.

My best to you XXxX
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Hi

I am in the UK too.
There are a few of us here.
The people that post in friends and family are very wise and have lots of sound advice and experience to share.

I just wanted to make you feel welcome and part of our family.

My best to you XXxX
Thank you Sasha for such a warm welcome. So you're in the UK too! I will wander over to the friends and family forum and take a look
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome from another newbie! About the time I realized how serious my husband's drinking problem is, I also realized how absolutely, entirely socially isolated we are--especially me. I hope we both find some helpful support here!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Carmie
D
Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to meet you, Carmie.

I've been on both sides of this thing. Many years ago my husband was slowly killing himself with alcohol. There was no SR then, and I did all the wrong things. I'm so glad you have a place like this to come to, where everyone understands and wants to help. It was horrible being all alone with it. Keep posting and reading - we care.