Notices

Counselling Sessions

Old 01-29-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counselling Sessions

Hi All,

As some of you know I suffer with depression and anxiety. I have been on the NHS waiting list for a few months now for a counselling session. I got a call earlier today to say there has been a cancellation and they have booked me in for Thursday.

Bit apprehensive if I'm honest. I want to go but I also dont want to go. Sounds daft but going to the session is almost admission on my part that something is wrong and needs to be dealt with. Well I'm going anyhow, feel the fear as they say.

I think the session is going to be some sort of talk therapy? I'm guessing CBT? Has anyone been to such a session and if so what can I expect?

Thanks

Sneeker.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't be nervous. As I am a counselor myself (and I see one too!) I can tell you that the people who decide to work in this type of job really care about people. They are (most of them) not going to judge you as they recognize t hat you are dealing with some type of issue. I love it when a new student comes to see me and many times they say they are glad they did. This is a fantastic step you are taking!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, been referred to one too but specifically for alcohol. Good luck, see it as a chance to speak without social restrictions if you feel emotional express it.
They are not there to judge, just to listen.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All the stuff I'm dealing with right now is related, in a tangled web kind of way. I get depressed and stressed so I drink (or did drink).

If I can get to the route cause of my problems that will hopefully alleviate the urge to drink. I'm a bit sceptical if I'll actually get anything from the session but I'll give it a go. Wrongly or rightly I figure if counselling or meds really worked there wouldn't be so many messed up people in the world! I guess some people are beyond help or at least resistant to it. I hope I can get something from it, anything, even if its just a short term boost.

I'm probably my own worse enemy! I've got a numerous self help books and none of them have any real impact on me. The problem I have is putting what I read into practise. Its like I'm trying to learn something without a teacher, hopefully a counsellor will help piece the bits together. My wife laughed at me the other day because she asked what I was reading, I told her it was an ebook on motivation. She said "oh I haven't seen you reading that before" and I said "yeah I know, I've had it ages just not been motivated enough to read it!"

Anyway... open mind and all that!