Can the steps be done remotely?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can the steps be done remotely?

I live in a remote part of a foreign country. Not only are any potential Al Anon meetings (if there are any) well out of geographical reach for me, they would be held in the native language which I don't have enough grasp on for it to be worthwhile... even if I could get there.

I am reading Codependent No More, but have no idea how to work through the steps.

Does anyone have any idea how I can do it remotely and without a sponsor? There must be some way...
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have asked the same question but have not really gotten an anwer. There is a sticky at the top of each step forum with a list of questions. So for now what I am doing is lots of reading and trying to write out answers to those questions.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't done the steps but believe they could be done remotely.
Will see if we can get someone with some experience to give some ideas on how to do this.
Meanwhile, did you know we have online meetings for friends and family here? Participation has apparently been low recently so they are deciding whether to continue. Are you interested?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Personally, I needed to find a sponsor at my meeting and work the steps with guidance from her.

That said, there is a book by the same author as Codependent No More, Melody Beattie, called "Codpendents' Guide to the Twelve Steps". I found this book very helpful.

Also, I work through the steps about once every year (it keeps me fresh and each time I work the steps from a different perspective as my life changes) and I use that book as one of my tools.

Hope this helps.

Hugs
Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This may be helpful too. Each step ends with link to the next step.

Step One: Outlined
Old 02-17-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In the early days of AA sometimes the only guidance for going through the steps was by mail. It's not a great situation, but if that's all you have to work with then that's it.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

They have online Al Anon meetings on Thursday nights I think.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
Meanwhile, did you know we have online meetings for friends and family here? Participation has apparently been low recently so they are deciding whether to continue. Are you interested?
I didn't realise there were online meeting, Hanna. I would be very interested to participate in them. How do I sign up?

Thanks for all your input, everyone. I am working through Codependent No More, but feel I need something more as I'm feeling more and more at a loss these days. I guess it goes up and down.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just saw this, sorry! I think they are on Thursday nights. Will find a link for you.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here is the link with info about the Friends and Family Chat

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...sdays-9pm.html

If you are interested you might want to PM the moderator of this chat to make sure it's going on as planned.