Paranoid or Cautious?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paranoid or Cautious?

I have a question for you.

My boyfriend and I are both recovering alcoholics and active in AA. I have 2 years and he has five years. We started dating about 10 months ago.

Last week, I got into my boyfriend's car and I swore it smelled like alcohol. I even commented to him about it and he said, "yeah, I noticed the same thing. Dunno."

I let it go.

Last night, I found a small bottle on the counter I had never seen before. It looked like a clear nail polish bottle, but small. There was liquid in it. It had been sitting there for a few days, so I guess I finally go curious enough... I thought maybe it had some scented oil in it. So I unscrewed the cap and took a whiff. It smelled like whiskey or scotch. But... that was never my drug of choice, so I wasn't sure... I took it into the living room where my boyfriend and his friend were sitting and I said, "hey, I found this on the counter... smells kind of potent to me... what's it smell like to you?" Both kind of said, "dunno... hmmm" and then my boyfriend took it from me and said, "well, let's pour it on the fire and see what it does." So he dumped it out. It just spattered.

I took the bottle back. There's still a bit of liquid in it and I kept it.

I'm pretty sure I know what's in that bottle. I just don't know what to 'do' about it, if anything.

Thoughts?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...It's Time.

hmmm thats pretty weird. Why would he put liquor in a little bottle the size of nail polish though? Im sure thats hardly enough to even get a buzz from lol. Maybe it was something else. I wouldnt make a big deal out of it just yet until you find something more concrete to confront him with.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

More will be revealed, but do listen to your intuition. Where's there is smoke, there is usually fire (pun intended!)

You'll know when the time comes. We always do, even when we choose to sit all warm and comfy in denial. Keep your eyes wide open.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tricky one, Corri. I have had the same problem myself - paranoid or cautious?

I found an old liquor flask in the cabinet the other day. It has been there, in the same place for ages, but I never thought there was anything inside. Sure enough, there was about half a shot worth of something in there. Maybe vodka. It tasted old. I know my partner got rid of all the alcohol in the house when he quit, but he never used to use the flask... or really drink vodka, so maybe he just didn't realise. Hate the fact that took up so much mental energy before I decided to let it go.

I also had the car thing a few times, but again, didn't say anything. I later realised it was the smell of the wipes he uses on the windscreen, so I cancelled that one out. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, so I've just put these things down to paranoia. I think a touch of paranoia is justified in our case. I started a thread today about looking for signs of relapse. Pretty exhausting second guessing yourself, isn't it.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

More will come. If he is in a relapse, much more will come out. I don't think I would worry about something the size of a nail polish bottle, that wouldn't be any use to someone trying to get even the slightest buzz.

Try to just relax and concentrate on you. When we start looking for signs, they start to pop up everywhere. It is better to concentrate on your own recovery.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you felt the need to ask; there could be something more to it. Follow your gut, pay attention to the facts.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I find that the smell of hand sanitizer makes me nauseous. I believe it HAS ethanol in it.

It's flu season, seems like I'm in constant contact with alcoholics!