Notices

Detoxing and scared

Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detoxing and scared

When I go on a run I go on a run. This time it was about 1.5 weeks no eating and drinking vodka 24/7. I think Fri night was my last drink. Last night's sleepless night was spooky to say the least. My question to anyone who can shed insight or encouragement, is it normal to have some serious delerium in this overnight dry out nights. I mean I was battling with my sanity. I could do with the exhaustion, fear, anxiety, pain, heartburn, and all that but I figured I wouldn't be battling with what seemed like three alter ego's all messing with my head. I'm pretty disturbed.
Anyway, dried out before and it has been bad not like this. Thanks for having me on the forum and for you coming responses.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I suggest seeing a Dr. Serious delerium, as you put it, can happen during alcohol detox and it is not good.

SR is a great place for support and I am glad you are here. Make good use of it! But please see a Dr.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

RS...Welcome to...SR!

Detox and W/drawl typically gets progressively worse each time for the alcoholic. You are going to hear it a lot around here...go see your doctor asap. You don't have to suffer through detox as bad as you could. Your doctor can probably help get you through the nightmare. I tried to white-knuckle my detox, and after 2 days of feeling like death I went to see my doctor. I am so glad that I did. Best of wishes to you, and congrats on seeking out suggestions.

Zube
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

we all know that we shouldnt detox on our own without help and we try it, thinking i will be okay.
My day 4 was the worst thing i have ever gone thru and asked my partner to take me to the hospital.
on day three i thought it was better. but nope.
PLEASE if you think it is bad it probably is. You life is nothing to gamble with.
We need you.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to SR. I'm really glad you're here. I know what you mean with the mind games but honestly that's not as dangerous as the risk of seizures, aspiration, or death. Alcohol detox is no joke. I agree with some of the other posters that seeing a doctor is important for you. Is this your first attempt at sobriety? What have you done in the past that has worked or not worked? Maybe it's time to try some new things? I hope you stick around in any case. Feel better soon.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was a daily vodka drinker and had a similar experience when I tried to detox at home. I was having auditory and visual hallucinations where I thought I was losing my mind. I had no idea I was going through alcohol withdrawal and I thought it was the flu. Looking back, I am sure I was not far off from the DT's/Seizures. I ended up in the ER a few days later because of alcoholic hepatitis where I described my 'flu' and was told I could have very easily died. Save yourself unnecessary suffering and see a doctor!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, and I am glad you are detoxing.
However, I STRONGLY suggest you see a doctor or go to a hospital. I followed a very similar drinking pattern to yours, and ended up being rushed to the hospital three times. The "delerium" was always a big warning sign for me.
First thing is first...you need to get through this acute detox safely.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with the above poster. I went through it alone and went to the hospital three times also. Walking in the door is much better than being wheeled in on a gurney. Your feelings are very much like I remember mine being. I tried to do it alone but it was impossible. Sounds like you know this, and I hope you are able to get through it safely and with your health being a top priority. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

1.5 weeks without food and only drinking vodka has probably done some severe damage to your body. you need fluids at the very least, you must be dehydrated with the sweating too. don't mess around, get to an ER where they can monitor you and get your body functions stable.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

delirium

first of all, thank you to everybody that took the time to post in regards to my situation.
Here's a brief (hopefully) background. I'm a 46 yr old male (3 kids, and I think wife is filing for divorce today), who has been drinking since an early age. I went to my first AA meeting somewhere in the late 80's.

My sprees are all pretty much this type, stop eating, drink round the clock until just a little helps you pass out, wake up, do it again until the calvary arrives in the form of the family, FD, PD or after I had been in the program a while, AA folk.

In about '86 I stayed sober for 7 years, drank, sober another 4, drank, sober maybe 2, drank, sober 4 or so. The longest lately was maybe9 monhts.
I LOVE AA, it helped me get my first real intruduction to god, I have done powerful step work, one sponsor had me re-write the whole 164 pages sentence by sentence and study them, I have been to three international conventions, listened to a million speakers, been to thousands of meeting, retreats are the highlights of my year, tried to sponsor some folks and STILL keep darn drinking!!!

As far as this situation, I was taken to ER on the night of the 25th for help detoxing. I basically was dumped in a dark room and waited about an hour and a half before they took blood, then later (I guess results showed I needed it) they hooked me up to some IV bag that once it started dripping, really did the trick. I probably fell asleep for several hours and then at some point, they woke me up, handed me the blood lab work report (I asked what it looked like and they said what I figured, wasn't great. I'm sure my organs have some mileage on them) and then a prescription to fill to help with my remaining detox nights.

I had always been given librium in the past but now this was for Lorazepam. I a great guy from one of my oldest homegroups cart me around until we filled it etc. (It had been about 10 hours since the hospital, so I took two of the one milligram pills) and they made me feel a little better, about 6 hours later I had one. What I noticed is these darn things have nasty side effects, mostly wildly dizzy, loss of ballance, and weakness in my limbs like I can barely walk.
I did NOT like these and typically the librium just calms me for sleep and am weened off them like a third of the way through the bottle. I tried last night not to take one because I need to be able to get out there and be a human eventually. Sorry, getting long winded...

To wrap up, i'm thinking one more night where I just lose sleep will be ok and then I can hit a meeting but at this point I don't want to get into a car.
It's daylight now so the auditory hallucinations are at bay, things seem to be ok except for all the normal things that come with detox but you guys still suggest I go see a dr. for assessing the crazy stuff that went through my head? I keep thinking some of it must have been that darn lorazepam!

Ok now i'm tired.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've done it both ways multiple times. Under doc supervision, in hospitals, in detox centers and at home with the auditory and visual hallucinations that had be going bat-**** crazy. As you know, it's much easier in the hospital. I went through some major depression and thought I didn't deserve to get treated professionally, as I deserved this detox at home because I failed so miserably over and over to stay sober.

It's up to you really. Doctors were amazed I never had a stroke. Each to his own. The dizzy crazy feeling is normal. It just depends on how much you are willing to take...

good luck with the decision.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i appreciate your candor. I can handle quite a bit, I didn't know their was so much chance of stroke or seizure 3 days into a dryout
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you have seen a doc and have some meds.
Remember you wont have to take lorazepam forever but they will assist with an alcohol detox (they gave me diazepam when I detoxed). I am a bit surprised they didnt keep you longer to monitor your symtoms....they did with me and didnt let me leave for quite a while.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

wind dancer

well the dr was from the er on fri night/sat release. only took the few pills then stopped just because of how the side effects made me feel. i dont want to have to any more if i am past the point of danger but not sure, i sure as heck would not operate a vehicle while taking them. i just dont want to have to deal with coming down off that stuff later, thoughts?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lorazepam is Ativan...it has a longer 1/2 life...but it is also going to take some time for the huge amount of alcohol to work it's way out of your system too.

maybe call your own physician and tell him/her what is going on. keep drinking water, gatorade, juice...and perhaps try some one to one counseling because it will help save you from doing this again....drinking for 1.5 weeks straight is killing you.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RICHARDSHERMAN View Post
well the dr was from the er on fri night/sat release. only took the few pills then stopped just because of how the side effects made me feel. i dont want to have to any more if i am past the point of danger but not sure, i sure as heck would not operate a vehicle while taking them. i just dont want to have to deal with coming down off that stuff later, thoughts?
Yeah, I wouldnt want to be on any benzo for long. (I am NOT a doctor, this is just my personal experience). However, I was super reluctant to take my diazepam but I could have died without it..so I was on it for about 2 weeks. I dont know why librium wasnt offered to me. But alcohol withdrawal can last for longer than a couple days, it varies from person to person, so in that situation if I had bad acute withdrawal symptoms I would take the lorazepam (ativan) to get me past the dangerous stage. For me, that lasted longer than a week. My doc was surprised.....I was released from the hospital than was taken back a couple days later a few hours after my meds ran out.