Notices

Replacement for my Shower Beer?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Replacement for my Shower Beer?

I looked forward to that cold beer in a hot shower at the end of the day. (Is that a weird ritual? Dad used to do it growing up...) Now I'm substituting water to try to curb the habit, but I still feel anxious through the hours that I usually drink. How have you all succeeded in curbing that? Any recommendations?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First thing I did upon arriving home from work, was crack open a few ice cold tall boys.

That ritual has been replaced with my cracking open a 750 ml bottle of Perrier, can of Coke Zero or can of soda water.

On weekends, I look forward to a premium soda pop, such as Virgils or Boylan. Cream Soda and Black Cherry...better tasting than any alcohol I've ever had.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies. At least 4 of them!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would suggest breaking any 'rituals associated with alcohol to be honest, it will just make you think of it.
Congrats on your decision to quit
Old 01-27-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Unimatrix, I don't know how early you are in this, but my suggestion would be to maybe find something nice to sip on, and just chill out in bed for a few days after work, give yourself a break.

I would stay away from caffeine for now as that may cause more anxiety, maybe some flavored soda waters? Zhepherhills makes some nice bubbly's. Ice tea, or hot teas.

Even having a sugary treat may help a little too, whatever is your favorite. Go for it, be good to yourself and just take some deep breaths and relax.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kizzy40 View Post
I would suggest breaking any 'rituals associated with alcohol to be honest, it will just make you think of it.
Congrats on your decision to quit
I'm being honest when I say that drinking Perrier or Coke immediately upon arriving home from work doesn't remind me of drinking beer.

I feel that replacing an unhealthy ritual with a healthy one is unlikely to remind you of the original.

That`s just me anyway.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I happened to like drinking in a hotshower as well, but mine was a bottle of vodka vs a can of beer. I have met other alcoholics through AA that have shared your passion for a can of ice cold beer in the shower. One said he replaced it with an ice cold can of ginger ale instead. Any soda worked for him, He said it HAD to be a can, HAD to be ice cold and bubbly, otherwise the "ritual" didn't feel right. I never really missed drinking in the shower though personally.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boozehound86 View Post
I happened to like drinking in a hotshower as well, but mine was a bottle of vodka vs a can of beer. I have met other alcoholics through AA that have shared your passion for a can of ice cold beer in the shower. One said he replaced it with an ice cold can of ginger ale instead. Any soda worked for him, He said it HAD to be a can, HAD to be ice cold and bubbly, otherwise the "ritual" didn't feel right. I never really missed drinking in the shower though personally.
It never occurred to me to drink in the shower. Guess I've got a way to go. But name any place in a 30 mile radius of where I live and I've drank there any time of day or night. It renders the phrase "stomping grounds" obsolescent.

As someone else here said, "I drank because the day of the week ended in a Y."
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It must be a northern hemisphere thing - never did it, never thought about it, never heard of it before this post.

I think it's good to vary your routine a little - maybe try not drinking anything, or having a bath, showering at a different time etc

D
Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A close friend who is a year or so ahead of me in sobriety suggested using sparkling mineral water instead of beer for a replacement option during those ritualistic times. It works for me and is a healthy alternate.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
No, Dee, I'm in the Northern hemisphere and I've never heard of it.

I sing in the shower...loudly.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've drank coffee in the shower ... never much of a morning person. Definitely have drank beer in the shower.... I'm from MA and we take drinking very seriously. Well, used to. I drink ALOT of soda water these days. We have polar brand here and the cherry pomegranate is the best. In recent travels.to Hawaii and Florida canada as well as more regional locations I realize the rest of the world doesn't have all these great flavors
Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I first quit drinking I was obsessed with trying to find a replacement for wine. There are several non alcoholic drinks I enjoy, but am now realizing I changed my life by stopping drinking and that's the way it is.....so for me there isn't anything I can substitute for wine and that's ok. I drink a lot of ice water
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great times to pray and thank your HP for keeping you sober.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The ol' shower beer. It wasn't a ritual for me but there was a time that I would have a beer in the shower every once in a while. I brush my teeth in the shower, maybe try that. Hard to drink beer when brushing. The ginger ale idea is a good one. I just got a soda stream to make soda water at home, it's kinda cool. But sometimes you just gotta let go of an old habit for a while and soon you won't be thinking about it.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I drank a beer in the shower once after a long race on a hot day. My reason was that I wanted to get those few extra in before getting together with friends, so it looked like I had the same amount they did, with no head start.

I realize this isn't why you do it, but thanks for indulging me while I reminded myself just how sick and absurd I was.

How about drinking an ice cold soda instead? It may come down to simply stopping it, if you want to stop drinking. Changes are necessary sometimes.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
instant

In time we develop new routines- the old ones lose their pull- just keep going down the new path
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UnimatrixZero View Post
but I still feel anxious through the hours that I usually drink. How have you all succeeded in curbing that? Any recommendations?
I think changing routine is very important. I did that a lot, even with little things like where I shopped, what I ate. If you absolutely can't change the time you shower or hate baths then changing other things around it might help change your mindset and eventually you won't miss it x
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Never say never...

I would either shy away from that for a while or try the gingerale. Good luck!

I only have a week under my belt....and I usually start drinking before I even get home....after I lock up, while I'm cleaning up & restocking the coolers....Yup, I'm a bartender ...this Thursday will be my first night in since giving up my vodka last Monday.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Those darn rituals are so tricky to deal with. As a former wine drinker I threw out all of my wine glasses as well as anything that reminded me of drinking. I have picked up the habit of drinking a cup of coffee after work as I was falling asleep before the news even came on during my early early sobriety. I know caffeine isn't a great habit, but the wine got me in much more trouble. Breaking the rituals is one of the hardest parts about getting sober!