Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My first Dui, I have never been in trouble before but I want to change my life

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just got pulled over 2 days ago, and I been having panic attacks ever since the cop stopped me, I was driving home after a party and I was almost home when it happened. I dont know what to do, i have never been in trouble for anything. my test said .17 which is double the legal limit in California. I really dont know what to do. I hope that joining groups will help me lead my life to alchohol free, because I dont even want to look at the damn thing. I am also afraid to tell my mother because she will be greatly dissapointed in me. I am close to graduating from college and getting my AS on Psychology and Philosophy. I understand how serious is the offense, and it was stupid of me to even try it. I dont know anyone who has been through this, lawyers cost so much money too, and my mom and I barely make it every month. Well I hope someone can help with information. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey student, welcome to this site. My first DUI, and only one, was one I got in California back in 2000. I don't remember how I paid for everything, but I did what was asked, I went to counseling, meetings and classes that the state made me take.

I still kept drinking, but just did it at home, and it got worse.

The one thing I can tell you is to just focus on right now. I'm sure you're going to have to go to court, talk to a probation officer, and you may have to be honest with your mom, maybe not... Remember, every single one of us have made mistakes, learn from it.

Just take one second, minute, hour, day at a time, take a few deep breaths, and know that you can get through this. You're about to graduate college, that in itself is and awesome achievement.

If your up to it, why not find some AA meetings close to you and check them out? We're here for you too, so again, welcome.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for your input...I did, I dont really drink that often, in fact I have really never drank before I was 21, and even then only on my bday I went drinking. I can see why its such a hefty fine, and I do want to go to meetings, I originally wanted to go before to get more information because I wanted to go into therapy with my Psych major. I know its a huge mistake because it can make serious accidents, or even take a life. I am glad I didnt do that, so in a way im happy I got stopped before I did worst. I just would like preferred prosecution which allows me to work for the city, go to meetings, and keep my record clean for a certain time, which after this I doubt ill even think about trying anything stupid. thank your for your words, ill try to get through this calmly.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You could use this as a wake up call. I was probably about your age when I got my first DUI. Wish I had taken the warning seriously back then.
Usually, when people get a DUI, it's not their first time driving under the influence. It sure wasn't mine.
I don't know where to point you for all the legal stuff.
One other thing - I had to go to several AA meetings as part of my DUI settlement. I never took them seriously back then. I wish I had.
Good luck.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Get an attorney, maybe hit up an AA meeting for now......
Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All of this will pass. The legal trouble, the shame, guilt, etc... And the fear of drinking again. All of it passes. If you are an alcoholic this horrible experience probably won't be enough to keep u sober.

Must find a program to have a shot.

Best of luck!!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't know where you live but if you live in the U.S. and can't afford a lawyer the court will appoint one for you. Since it's your first you'll probably get off with a warning, maybe a modest fine and possibly an order to attend some kind of recovery program. Your mom probably knows about your drinking but if you make a good faith effort at recovery I hope that she will support you. Sometimes a DUI is a good heads up to get your attention to a problem which could be severe if you don't do something about it. I wish I'd done something like a program at an earlier stage. This is a real opportunity to make something of yourself and to be happy. Good luck.

W.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Never say never...

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
All of this will pass. The legal trouble, the shame, guilt, etc... And the fear of drinking again. All of it passes. If you are an alcoholic this horrible experience probably won't be enough to keep u sober.

Must find a program to have a shot.

Best of luck!!
I can attest to that.....I got my one and only when I was around your age (got pulled over twice before that and let go....but I was too "invincible" back then to get the wake-up call)
It sucks, but it will all pass.
I didn't have a drink for 10 whole years after that....I had a bad accident , luckily the only person that was hurt was me.

Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

My pet peeve is when people call it "my first dui" suggesting they think there will be more in the future...be on your own side and make sure that it is your only dui.

It's not the end of the world. You are okay and didn't hurt anyone, let this be the wake up call to stop taking chances. Deal with the consequences, and make sure you have a good attorney to help you navigate what you'll need to do and answer your questions.

You'll get a lot of support here if you're ready to stop drinking...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is your wakeup call. I got one in Cali about 4 years ago. I will tell you this, it is NOT the end of the world, don't let it spiral you down. I was without a license for about 30 days before I got driving privs. During those 30 days I wallowed in self pity and instead of going out and drinking, I drank at home, a lot. This isn't the end, this is just the beginning of a journey into a new life where you learn from your mistakes, and make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Don't let the world cave in on you, I promise you, you will make it through this, learn from it, and make better decisions in the future. Get your classes done, pay your fines, and move on. California isn't nearly as strict at Texas, Illinois, and some other states, but it shouldn't mean any less to you. A DUI is a wake up call telling you, you could've killed yourself or someone else. Love yourself, appreciate that you're alive and didn't hurt anyone, and then pick up the pieces and carry on.

We're all here for you.. Stay sober my friend, I've found that's the easiest way to not get DUI's (I have two, previously).
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, and one last thing, unless you have gobs of money, or you just simply can't make the court dates, I'd recommend not getting an attorney. It was a big waste of money on my first DUI in Cali.. All they did was represent me, there's not much they can do for you if you blew or took a blood sample, unless they find a technicality to work off of.

Totally just my experience and opinion though... Everyone in my DUI classes with their first DUI got the same treatment whether they had an attorney or didn't.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
Oh, and one last thing, unless you have gobs of money, or you just simply can't make the court dates, I'd recommend not getting an attorney. It was a big waste of money on my first DUI in Cali.. All they did was represent me, there's not much they can do for you if you blew or took a blood sample, unless they find a technicality to work off of.

Totally just my experience and opinion though... Everyone in my DUI classes with their first DUI got the same treatment whether they had an attorney or didn't.

I just wanted to quote this for truth.

My experience as well, don't bother with an attorney if it's your first and there was no damage to the car or to you or anyone else. Just use the public defender.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't know about California..as someone prior said you may get off for the first one. DUI is far more serious now because of strong pressure from MADD. In NJ, youlose your license for 7 months, pay about $1,500 in fines, go to a Intoxicated Drivers resource program & do community service (plus attorney fee's between 1,500-3,000). Please stop while you can. I got 3 DUI's...lost my license for 10 years & went to jail for it (6 months)--so as you can see it is serious. I quit drinking about 2 years ago & go to AA 3 or 4 times a week. Hang in there & just don't drink.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey student...sorry this happened to you. I had my first DUI this past november. And it will be my last. I have been sober since then. I don't know what the laws are in CA but I think they are pretty black and white. For this reason, I didn't get a lawyer. The fees they will make you pay in court and thru DMV are enough as it is. But, you of course do what's best for you. It's still pretty fresh for you and I am sure you are feeling ashamed of it. BUT just be so grateful you didn't hurt anyone or yourself, total your car or damage other property. It could have been sooooo much worse. It's hard to see know but you will learn a lot from this experience if you allow yourself. I am certainly learning a lot about patience and about overcoming adversity without alcohol. Best of luck you and keep us posted.