Notices

Four Days and Counting (Poop?)

Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four Days and Counting (Poop?)

I have been stalking the sight for a few days, and I feel like I need to say hi. I am very happy that there is a group of people out there who undestand and can support each other.

I know it's not a contest, but suffice it to say, if it was, I would be near the back of the line as far as being a problem goes. For the last few years, I have been drinking about 6 beers a night, sometimes less. I have recently started cutting back, and my initial goal is 2 weeks.

I work two jobs, and am a full time student, I have genetic high blood pressure (which I am taking meds for). I don't sleep more than 6 hours usually (but feel fine) and I usually only eat one meal a day (a big dinner). Because I'm a college student, it's easy to eat a completely awful diet. My big eye opener was a pain in my right side. Since I quit, I have ben trying to avoid red meat, and eat more vegetables.

WARNING: POOP
When I was drinking, everything I ate (dinner) would rocket through my body and out the other end by the next morning. I figured this was normal, but since I stopped, it's still the same. Loose stool constantly, I have just started taking probiotics to try to help. Doc says liver looks good, as does cholesterol. The pain is almost totally gone, but the poop is still awful. Anybody else experience this? How long do you think it would take to go back to normal?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

see a Gastroenterologist.....they can accurately DX you...it could be a number of things, even lactose intolerance...try eating more than once a day, small snacks of fruit and cereal 1/2 sandwich, a cup of soup etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi, Uni

I have heard that probiotics dio not affect your intestinal ecology. It just takes time--if your body is badly out of balance, it can take up to two years (the reference for that is a Nature special section on Traditional Chinese Medicine).

I am at three months, and, well, it comes and goes but mostly goes looser than when I know my body is healthy.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Unimatrixzero - welcome

If I'm reading right, you're still in the process of cutting back so I wouldn't expect much change...

once you quit completely, you might see some changes - unless if course it's not alcohol related at all...eating badly and eating only one a day can really screw your system up.

D
Old 01-27-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Unimatrixzero - welcome

If I'm reading right, you're still in the process of cutting back so I wouldn't expect much change...

once you quit completely, you might see some changes - unless if course it's not alcohol related at all...eating badly and eating only once a day can really screw your system up.

D
Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think a regular diet might help. Go with rice for starches, beans veggies and fruit for fiber, and chicken or fish for proteins. Don't make too many changes or vary too much. Your body will respond in a few weeks I believe. It worked in my case. I had very bad stools when I was drinking and in treatment, but when I got on a regular gluten-free (mostly) diet afterwards, things got back to normal in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

in the four months I had sober recently, I started eating 4 small meals a day and eating good clean foods, started lifting/hitting the bag 3 times a week each morning. When you eat one meal a day your body cant absorb/ utilize all the nutrients vs 4 small ones, also eating crap is bad as well. The above+not drinking caused me to drop 30lbs and I can see my abs for the first time since highschool. Had a slip last week, but Im grabbing the reigns again, Not drinking isn't just about not drinking, it needs to be a complete lifestyle change.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd ask that same doctor you saw about your liver and cholesterol, see what they say. If you're still drinking though, I'm sure that has something to do with it.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I'm glad someone is addressing the poop subject. I see a direct correlation between beer intake and explosive diarrhea. I usually eat healthy food, but sometimes go for candy. I had liquid diarrhea when I went into detox. They served really greasy crummy food and still my diarrhea started to clear up.

There was no tobacco allowed in the detox facility. That loosens my bowels like clockwork, so being away from alcohol and tobacco probably was a factor in solidifying up a bit.

I'm sorry to say that I had some beer after I got out of detox and the diarrhea came right back, so I think I've pinpointed the culprit.

I'm still waiting to get into rehab, but I'm on a 5 week waiting list for the most affordable place. Some of them are really expensive. I'm not Robin Williams with a lot of folding money.

Another thing: I thought my perpetually dry throat and nose were from smoking and drinking, but when I was away from it for a few days, it didn't change. Maybe I wasn't away from it long enough.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. To address some of them, I have cut back significantly the last few weeks (only 2-3 beers) and haven't had a drop in almost 4 days.

ColdFusion, I haven't heard much about probiotics, but you think it's a scam? I figured it was a possibility that I had trashed the ecosystem of my guts with the high amounts of beer and garbage (chicken nuggets, frozen burritos, pot pies...). lol But I'll have to do more research.

renaldo, I do not use tobacco anymore, gave up chewing about 6 months ago. That must have been awful going without BOTH all at once!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with explosive morning movements. I'm hoping that soon it clears up, because I'm tired of every poop being an emergency. lol
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

All of your digestive tract has been having alcohol for a while now. It's going to take some time to become regular again....

The "flora and fauna" (yes, I just heard the actual names of the stuff just about 2 hours ago, but at over 20 months, I am still having word-recall problems, of course, I am reminded I'm over 50 now....) of your system must re-regulate.....same with brain and fuzzy thinking. All of this will change with more and more sober time!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thus concludes day 5.
Was able to eat 3 meals today, and just had a normal experience at the porcelain altar.

I'm happier than I should be...

Still getting occasional pain in my right side, hope that subsides soon...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

do you plan to see a Dr, UZ?

D
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Good going on day 5!

If I had normal experiences at the porcelain alter, I'd probably be happier than I should be also. AA's talk about being on a "pink cloud:" euphoria experienced by those in early recovery. Not sure what color clouds we're talking about here...
Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

dee,

last night my chest was extremely tight and hurt, but today it's pretty good. It has gotten LOADS better. Like I mentioned, liver checked out, and gallbladder appears good, so if it continues to hurt I will, but I think it will go away soon.

I hope...
Old 01-29-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UnimatrixZero View Post
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with explosive morning movements. I'm hoping that soon it clears up, because I'm tired of every poop being an emergency. lol
There was a classic South Park episode where Kenny had explosive diarrhea and Mr. Garrison had to excuse him from class to go to the bathroom where you could clearly hear all the proceedings.

Kenny had a note from his Mom saying, "please excuse Kenny. He has explosive diarrhea." But it's not funny anymore when you're a grown adult and can't hold in your own stool.

"Something is happening and you don't know what it is, do you Mr. Jones?"

Well, in sad point of fact, it probably is the beer.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Idk if you prescribed any meds, but sometimes they can affect your stomach too.
When my 90 year old mother had this problem, her doctor told us to get "lactobacillus" pro-biotic, specifically, this one is sold in the refrig. Section of GNC stores.
It helps to restore the good bacteria and solidify.
I would eat more starch and small amounts of veg/fruit for now. Avoid fat, butter too.