prayers please

Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

prayers please

about to go to the bfs home church for a special service. everyone there knows most of the situation and some are judgmental. others are codependents and enablers who are in denial. They use me to check up on him all the time and whenever I am there, they want the conversation to revolve around the boos addiction and recovery. they love him very much and want him to recover of course, but cannot see how unhealthy it is for them to only talk about him with me all the time, EX: they start future trippin about him and I tactful change the subject to them or kids or work or ANYTHING and within a few sentences they bring it back around to dissecting and analyzing his addiction and recovery all over again. thier intentions are good, but thier understanding is limited. all of these reasons are why I stick to my home church and only go there once in a while, like for friends baptisms. please pray that I will be slow to speak and patient with them, and be able to deflect the conversation when and if it turns to stinkin thinkin . many of these people are very very old, and this place is small, about 40 people, with no members who are in recovery. Thank you in advance for your support. I hope the day goes well for all of you
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Hi Lilly, Just allow the Holy Spirit to be your voice and all will be fine. Have a wonderful, blessed day!

P.S. When I was asked about my husband I said "He is in God's hand right now and I am taking this time with God's help and guidance - to heal and focus on ME and strengthen my walk." I meant every word of it and it really helped stop any further questions about him.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Prayers and thoughts sent your way Lily!

xo
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would recommend removing religion from your life entirely. There is a growing Atheist movement based on reason and common sense.

Church can be just like hanging out or a bar or a pub - unhealthy. Leaving your faith IS an option. This is a great short documentary that I think is good for beginners. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yFHuSty16M
Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I would recommend removing religion from your life entirely. There is a growing Atheist movement based on reason and common sense.

Church can be just like hanging out or a bar or a pub - unhealthy. Leaving your faith IS an option. This is a great short documentary that I think is good for beginners. Good luck.

Okay I know we need to respect everyone's 'beliefs' or 'non beliefs' on this forum... but I strongly object to the above 'reply'.... I happen to be a Christian... but for those who are not, or who are buddhist, Muslim - whatever - or for some who just believe in a Higher Power - I find the above 'advice' unhealthy and potentially extremely damaging.... And I really am not attacking you Bigsombrero - just need to voice my objections!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

haha! this post is awesome and has me smiling because of what we talked about today and only makes me believe my personal truth EVEN MORE!!!!!!!!!! thanks everyone. god is good. all the time
Old 01-27-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One day at a time

Awwwww. I've been there, I used to just say that his life was his and between God and him. That he was doing what he felt necessary and I was working on me right now.
It's hard but they'll get the point.

Love!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

So true - God is good all the time!!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I simply was offering an alternative solution. Some people don't realize that there is a way out. Then again this is the Christianity section, so I suppose this is not the place for science-based discussion or a place where I'd find logic or reason to be priorities. I wish I could have helpful advice for everyone, but I know that I can only take care of myself. Sorry if I hurt your feelings and I will try not to post on this section again, as I have very strong feelings about how harmful it is to believe in a God.

To each his own. Good luck, and good for you staying sober! Peace be with you.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I simply was offering an alternative solution. Some people don't realize that there is a way out. Then again this is the Christianity section, so I suppose this is not the place for science-based discussion or a place where I'd find logic or reason to be priorities. I wish I could have helpful advice for everyone, but I know that I can only take care of myself. Sorry if I hurt your feelings and I will try not to post on this section again, as I have very strong feelings about how harmful it is to believe in a God.

To each his own. Good luck, and good for you staying sober! Peace be with you.
This is not the Christianity section. However, there is plenty of "logic and reason" in this section.

Perhaps you would enjoy sharing your strong beliefs in the atheist section of SR.

Best of luck to you and your sobriety!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
This is not the Christianity section. However, there is plenty of "logic and reason" in this section.

Perhaps you would enjoy sharing your strong beliefs in the atheist section of SR.

Best of luck to you and your sobriety!
ditto :P and also science is a wonderful thing. only foolish people deny the truth of science
Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just assumed it was the Christianity section because the question was faith-based. I apologize for hijacking this thread, it does not help the OP. Good luck all.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

no it was not. Im sorry if it came across that way my question is how to deal with my fellow codependents and enablers of the addict in my life because they are in denial of thier own contribution to the pain caused in our community. When I ask for prayers to help me do this I ask for people to pray to whatever thier own higher power is, whether it is the God of Abraham, Allah, science, logic and reason, sound judgement, wisdom or just the positive energies of the universe.