Notices

More Pain than I can handle

Old 01-26-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

More Pain than I can handle

I have really bad degenerative disc disease which has really been effecting me since I stopped smoking pot. All I can think about today is getting stoned so I can feel some relief.

I gave up alcohol back in July but didnt stop smoking weed till the 2nd of January. It really hasnt been a problem until the last couple of days but now I am in so much pain that I cant deal with ANYTHING!

I know that many folks do not understand how pot can be medicinally prescribed but I can attest to the relief it can provide someone with chronic pain. Unfortunately, our gov't doesnt agree and the only reason (besides the $) I stopped was because I am trying to get Disability and I'm afraid they will test me.

I do not like or want to take prescription pain killers but I am getting so depressed from this pain that I dont know what to do. I could get some good bud very easily but dont want to throw away 3+ weeks w/o it.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGG!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can;t comment on your situation directly, but as one who went down the pot pain relief road, I think there's better ways.

It used to relieve my pain sure - but if I'm honest, that was the least of my reasons for taking it.

These days I take pain relief medication when required - it doesn't get me high, it doesn't alter my consciousness, I don;t crave it, I don;t order my life around it and it doesn't hit those sweet spots that my addiction used to love.

Do you have a pain management doctor, Hope?

D
Old 01-26-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I can;t comment on your situation directly, but as one who went down the pot pain relief road, I think there's better ways.

It used to relieve my pain sure - but if I'm honest, that was the least of my reasons for taking it.

These days I take pain relief medication when required - it doesn't get me high, it doesn't alter my consciousness, I don;t crave it, I don;t order my life around it and it doesn't hit those sweet spots that my addiction used to love.

Do you have a pain management doctor, Hope?

D
No, I dont. I really dont have much luck with Dr's. Every time I go my Doc, he types every word I say into his computer and Blue Cross jacks up my insurance premium....50% in the last year. It doesnt make me want to see him, to say the least.

The only relief I have now is getting in my hot tub and it is very temporary.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not American so I really don't have any suggestions on how to proceed in your health service, beyond finding a dedicated pain management doctor.

Hopefully others will have other suggestions too

D
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I realized that I DO have a Pain Mangement Dr of sorts and made an appointment with my Osteopath for next week.

I made it through the tough spot I was in when I started this thread and I'm determined to stay off the weed.

Thanks for your responses Dee.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad Hope

D
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Never say never...

Hi Hope...
I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with Dr's & insurance stuff, I just wanted to say hang in there and good luck!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Thanks MM. I love your signature! All 3 apply to me.....
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Never say never...

Thanks Hope...it's one of my very favorite quotes....funny, I have "Hope" tattooed on the inside of my left wrist
Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Still determined

I saw my Osteopath last tue and finally got some relief from the pain that has been dominating my life lately. It ended up being my lucky day..... he had a student Dr that he was training, so I got worked on by both of them!
Kind of a 2 for 1 deal!

I finally was able to relax after the visit and felt a HUGE energy release for the rest of the day.

If any of you have pain issue's, I highly recommend that you search out a competent Osteopath in your area and schedule an appointment.

Today it has been 5 weeks since I stopped smoking Pot for pain control.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

That's wonderful news, Hope! I've had back problems for a long time and it can be so debilitating. Most of the time, the pain is manageable for me, but even doing house cleaning can set me off on an episode leading to days and days in bed.

I'm so glad your doctor was able to help - it had to be hard dealing with both the physical pain and mental part of addiction at the same time. I hope you continue to feel better!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad you've found a solution Hope
congrats on your 5 weeks

D
Old 02-09-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, Hope! That's great news. I'm glad you persevered.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Still clean

Today is my 5 month anniversary of giving up pot. I have been seeing my Osteopath once a month and taking Ibuprofen whenever I have problems with pain and so far it is working.

Thank you for all your support.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

woo hoo! way to go Hope4Life!

D
Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great, Hope! I'm glad you checked in.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Either you want to stay drug free or you dont. I see your post and I am seeing a TON of reasons you have come up with in your head to go out and smoke again. Realize that is the addiction working in your brain to justify you doing what you want. You know what you need to do, so its up to you if you want to make the change, or stay a slave to the addiction. You do or you dont, but from what I can see..........your just listing reasons so you can feel good about or justify reasons for doing drugs again.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

It looks like you made the right choice, I am proud of you and congrats!!! Stick with it!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

6 months today

I have now been weed free for 6 months and in 18 days I will have been sober for a year. While there have been many challenges that I have been through, my determination remains intact.

I went to an excellent concert this past sat night. Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters. They played a bunch of Led Zeppelin songs during the set. Needless to say, there was A LOT of Pot being smoked.

A couple times during the show I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to find someone offering me a joint by sticking it in my face..... I just politely said no thanks and continued enjoying the show.....

Another victory for DETERMINATION!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lovely thread of perservance and solution...not bandaid : )