Notices

Day 28 Feeling Down!!!

Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 28 Feeling Down!!!

I went out with my Friends yesterday and since I've been home I've felt really down and just feel me stopping drinking is changing everything and feel like the friends I have will be soon moving on and not want me around cause I'm gonna be the boring sober one.

I'm not the most out spoken person in the world and only know making friends through drinking and getting hammered, I've never had friends I don't end up getting drunk with.

My Dad is an alcoholic, I haven't seen him for a few weeks and I saw him yesterday and he looked a mess telling me (while on his way to the offie) that he was just getting a bottle of wine for his mrs when I know he's lying.

Finding it hard to go round there cause I know I'm gonna get the "have a drink" comment.

I know at some point I'm gonna get grief for being '***** whipped' for not drinking and it has nothing to do with my wife! I came to realise I had the problem when I couldn't tell what my money went on other then beer.!!

I know my family just think I'm being 'stupid' and saying 'you haven't got a problem you don't drink everyday' blah blah

There is honestly nobody I can think of who won't judge me!! I'm surrounded by (apart from my wife and Daughter) drinkers, coke heads and weed heads

All these things are getting to me
Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

After reading all of your posts, sounds like your friends aren't real friends. My family supports me also. My drinking friends have protected me and supported me even as far as making sure I have sodas and waters to drink if they know I'm coming by, how cool.

I'm still fun when I'm around them, and there's no pressure.

You'll make new friends, you don't need people bringing you down, and if you truly adore your family, aren't they worth it too?

You're doing the right thing, this is still all new, it's going to take time, hang in there.

Change a thought, move a muscle.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haha thank you

I have been on one tonight

The other day I honestly thought "think I'm over this drinking thing now"
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just keep going, it's gets easier, I PROMISE!!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How lucky you are to have a supportive wife and a daughter who will have a daddy to be proud of.
Mate... what else matters?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I can understand where you're coming from.

After things went crashing down around me, I made the decision to focus solely on my recovery and my family - wife, son - and not much else. I am an introverted person, and making friends was difficult even when I did drink, let alone when sober. But I found that in my "cocooning" phase with my family, I found the unconditional love and support that I always craved...and always had but was asleep to it while I drank. By being with extended family and old friends, I got a new foundation for myself, socially. So with that, and the changes that working the program of AA, I was able to slowly get out of my shell and make true friends - guys that know me for me, and not based on some facade that I created to be liked. I attract the people I want as friends by first being friends to them. It's taken time, but I have people in my life that I can call any time, that I can talk to, that I can have fun with.

Being surrounded by users and drinkers in your life doesn't mean that they are the ones you have to be with. You have an opportunity to change your landscape, with your family at the core. Your sobriety is much more important than hurt feelings and what other alcoholics and addicts think of you. Remember, they are sick too, like you were, and are coming from a dark place. Keep your head up high, stay close to your family, keep sober and you will start to see changes coming...