Day 28 Back at the Gym

Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 28 Back at the Gym

I want to get lean and fit.

Any advice where to start with Cardio?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It completely depends on your current level of conditioning.

Where you at fitness wise?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You need to define your objectives better. Barring that, I'd focus on strength training over cardio. Developing muscles will burn more calories and tone your body whether you are a man or woman. Split your strength workouts across a few days, focusing on different muscle groups each day. You can do cardio after strength if you have the time and energy but strength after cardio is probably a waste of time. Don't bother with isolation exercises but instead focus on compound lifts with good form. Dead lift, pull up, bench press and squat are your basics moves. Good form is far more important than increasing weight. Yoga and swimming are incredibly helpful if you can get used to them.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm doing Kick Boxing and feel pretty fit

But I know if I went for a run right now I wouldn't get 2 minutes down the Road.

I used to do a 30 minutes 5 minutes running 5 minutes walking.

I'd just like advice off somebody who runs (treadmill) and what they'd reccomend
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to use machine weights because the gym I go to is always busy.

I'd do 3 sets of 10 Heavy weight

Then 3 sets of 20 on a lower weight on the same machines
Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't run on treadmills. I run on the road. When I go to the gym I use the erg. Rowing machines will build crazy core strength and push your heart very hard. Look for a concept 2 machine and try to do 2 KM pieces at or under 2 minutes/500 meter. You'll need to learn proper form, drive with legs, then with the back, than with the arms, and reverse it on the recovery. Most of all slow down the damned recovery. But if you learn right you'll find it superior to the treadmill.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rowing Machines kill my Back but I might give it a try :-)
Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Straightedgeste View Post
Rowing Machines kill my Back but I might give it a try :-)
They kill your back because you are doing it wrong. Like so many things, if we were educated right in the first place we wouldn't have this problem. Like for me if I was educated as a young boy to take care of myself and not put **** up my nose every day I wouldn't have become an addict. But in your case, it's easy. Keep your back in a straight line, drive from your legs, then lean back and pull through your arms and shoulders... Set the display on the machine so thant you can see how much pressure you apply. It should be a strong spike on the legs and then a steady downward curve from back to arms. Too bad you are not in Bawstahn or I'd show you in person at the fancy gym I like.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I agree with gincognito. If your goal is running related, pick a goal. It doesn't have to be a race, but maybe a distance you want to be able to run or bike. There are tons of 'how to' sites to get you to very specific running and biking goals as far as stepped training goes. For example, there are 'couch to 5k' sites that are popular, just do some googling. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Kind of related, the best book I ever read on running is 'Galoways Book on Running'. He was an American Olympic runner. Even for casual running I think this is a must read. And it is motivational to some degree.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't measure it, "they" say as long as you're doing at least 30 mins. cardio a day, that's good. I played tennis for an hour on Friday night and then ran home, maybe a 1/4 mile. I do go jogging a few times a week, occasionally hit the gym; when I do, I do the treadmill, the elliptical, and do weight training along with core exercises. I do a little of everything. As long as I'm doing it (I'm 42, female), I'm keeping myself fit and feeling good, and I think that's what it is really key.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Straightedgeste View Post
I'm doing Kick Boxing and feel pretty fit

But I know if I went for a run right now I wouldn't get 2 minutes down the Road.

I used to do a 30 minutes 5 minutes running 5 minutes walking.

I'd just like advice off somebody who runs (treadmill) and what they'd reccomend

I'm going to recommend googling 'cardio for beginners' and see what you can find.

I run four to five miles a day, four to five times a week...usually six miles an hour, some times a bit faster.

Then I do body weight exercises, push ups, ab work, chin ups soon, shoulder presses etc...

I prefer the treadmill over outside, as I don't have to worry about the terrain or the elements.

Running is the only cardio I enjoy.

I exercise for fitness, stress busting and health.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Intervals on the treadmill might be a good place to start. Alternate running and walking, also increase the incline on the walking. You can start at 30 minutes and increase to an hour.
I have one taped to my treadmill in the garage, I can send you the minutes running/walking and incline level for each tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Look up Couch to 5 k. It is a great program to get you up and running without injuring yourself.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just started running again. I had to really warm up to it...haha. I'm on week 2 and it's getting better. You just have to keep at it, but in small increments...don't do too much to soon. Them weights are your best friend...find a crossfit gym if you can.