Notices

Day 6 and feeling the pinch

Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 and feeling the pinch

Well day 6 today and the worst so far , as I only binge drink massively every Saturday today is a tough one. Still unsure whether I can go on forever without a drink but dam sure I'm gonna try. Trying to focus on making it a year in my head. Don't know if that's right or wrong but can't handle the thought of going forever at the moment so focusing on that, just 11 months 3 weeks to go lol.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Congrats on the six days!

I can only see things in smaller increments. First is just for today I will stay sober. Sometimes is feel stronger and think this weekend... And sometimes the work week.

How ever we get there huh?

Keep it going. There are no reasons to drink no matter what.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How about just focussing on today?

You will stay sober today and worry about tomorrow when it comes.

So much more manageable.

Stay close to SR. You can do this x
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some people here swear by one day at a time. Others like the "never" concept. Then there are those who want a rehab facility. I say , do what works for you. Congratulations on your days.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, you can't stay sober tomorrow yet, so what are you planning to do about today?

What seems to happen with lots of people is that they focus on the "big goal" (a year, forever), get overwhelmed, and decide they could never do that so they might as well drink today. Needless to say, that makes it pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It was helpful to me to remind myself I can never drink again because it shut up that part of my brain that kept whining, "Are we THERE yet?" But I kept my efforts focused on today, the only day I can stay sober.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go! Six days is huge. For me it was one SECOND at a time in the beginning so six days was a long time. Keep moving forward and reaching out just like you are doing and you can make that year.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

letscallit - know that YOU CAN DO IT! Don't drink for the next 5 min, string 12x 5 min's together and you've got an hour! celebrate that hour! I know you can do it, when I'm obsessing I clean the house or do laundry, watch a documentary online, I'll exercise or go for a walk, hang out with a friend and ask for their support! These are things that work for me and others and I'm confident they'll work for you too!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone some really good advice,
I'm gonna just get past tonight and go from there makes sense. really appreciate it everyone ,
Hope everyone else is coping today and tonight. So glad I found this forum
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on day 6! I don't think of it as never drinking again, as my mind can't process that and I panic. Everyday when I wake up I say to myself: I have two choices, I can choose not to drink or choose to drink and today I choose not to. Just get thru one day at a time. That's all you need to do.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Six days is great, and getting past this first Saturday will be a huge accomplishment for you. Hang close to SR today if you need support.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow for one week!!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
Congrats on day 6! I don't think of it as never drinking again, as my mind can't process that and I panic. Everyday when I wake up I say to myself: I have two choices, I can choose not to drink or choose to drink and today I choose not to. Just get thru one day at a time. That's all you need to do.
Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Six days is great, and getting past this first Saturday will be a huge accomplishment for you. Hang close to SR today if you need support.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow for one week!!
Again two great comments. Totally got past that earlier wobble. Watching tv with the wife and happy , thanks and yes 1 week tomorrow
Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 days. I am 6 days today, too. Great advice from folks to approach sobriety in small units of time - one minute, one day, one work week, etc.