Notices

New guy

Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool New guy

Hey everybody. I have been sober for a little over a year now. I got to the point that I was so pickled all the time that I had a high BAC every day. Three times I went cold turkey and three times I had gran mal seizures as a result. I would always go back to drinking because of my denial that it was drinking that landed me in intensive care at least a half dozen times. After the last seizure, I called it quits with the drinking. I feel great and if I get an urge to drink, I take a look at the $38,0000 worth of hospital bills I have accumulated. It seems like a good deterrent. Looking forward to your posts.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, well done on a year sober Snoopy! And welcome to SR Did you get any support with quitting in the end or have you done this largely on your own? x
Old 01-26-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done and congrats on your sobriety. You are an inspiration to me.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I will not call off the search

Hey thats great. Keep it up and welcome to Sr
Old 01-26-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
So it goes

Welcome to SR sir, and congratulations on a year from a fellow Januarian
Old 01-26-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow,, a yr!! thats absolutley fab snoopy!!!
well done , and keep it up,, welcome to sr ,, hugs cleo xxx
Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Snoopy - and congratulations on your year

D
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One year thats awsome keep up the great work
Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ni Snoopy and welcome.

I've had 4 grand mal seizures. It's par for the course, and you're not alone by any means. Congratulations on getting the monkey off your back.

The first seizure I had was from quitting cold turkey. The next 3 were from drinking in what I "perhaps" erroneously regarded as "in moderation" (i.e., not getting sh*tfaced by any means, but also not eating much if at all, working remotely on the internet until my number came up.)

I was taking care of business (volunteer, I might add), waking up, not showering, not eating, attending to a slew of emails for a cancer society I was doing graphic design for. Oy!

One minute walking to the bathroom feeling for the most part lucid, the next minute regaining consciousness on the computer room floor with no recollection of any warning sign and no memory of what had happened.

I don't remember a single detail of any of the seizures I've had.

I think that's what qualifies them as grand mal.

I had a CT scan and no physical abnormalities in my brain have been detected.

And, just to clarify, I'm not obsessive compulsive about stamping out cancer. I'm doing this volunteer work so I can have something spanning a couple of years on my resumé in the graphics dept., since paying work has been very sporadic.

Potential employers don't have to know that it's a non-paid position, and in fact, none of them have asked.

I'm on a 30 day waiting list to get into rehab - so no point in applying for a paying job right now. Everything is on hold 'til I can swat that dry humping monkey away. feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Actually, the monkey isn't always dry. Sometimes he makes a mess.

I'm speaking metaphorically now. I can go long stretches of time looking like a "normal" person, but at some point I've go to admit that if I'm having seizures and not even "partying down"--simply maintaining--then push has come to shove.

I don't even like partying down. It bores me to tears.

All but one of my friends are moderate drinkers, which I think works in my favor. I never frequented bars, so there's no temptation there.

In terms of "stomping grounds," I've drank in any place you can name in a 30 miles radius from where I am now at any time of day or night, so no one particular place tugs at my heart strings.

I've got no home boys calling me up trying to talk me into going out on the town. That's a good thing, I think. I have one really solid friend and we talk on the phone for 2 hours at an appointed time once per week. There are no secrets between us and we get along just fine going on 30 years now.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family and congrats on your year sober!!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snoopy2 View Post
Hey everybody. I have been sober for a little over a year now. I got to the point that I was so pickled all the time that I had a high BAC every day. Three times I went cold turkey and three times I had gran mal seizures as a result. I would always go back to drinking because of my denial that it was drinking that landed me in intensive care at least a half dozen times. After the last seizure, I called it quits with the drinking. I feel great and if I get an urge to drink, I take a look at the $38,0000 worth of hospital bills I have accumulated. It seems like a good deterrent. Looking forward to your posts.
The last time you quit was it “cold Turkey” or did you find a better way?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome, and congrats on the year!

Also thanks for the sharing on the potential dangers of unsupervised detox. Glad you're OK now.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi snoopy!

Glad you're here and congrats on getting a year sober!