Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Is there an "in-between" ? Not 100% alcoholic, but still a problem drinker?

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've been wondering for a while. I know that I have a problem with alcohol, but I don't think I'm alcoholic...I can moderate sometimes, alcohol does cause me problems and there"s many times that I can't control my intake....but I research about alcoholism alot, and it seems that alcoholics cannot stop at 3 or 4 drinks......which confuses me, because I exhibit alot of the other signs of being an alcoholic, but I manage to control my intake...sometimes
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Justifying reasons,scenerios, etc that you "are not" an alcoholic usually means...

We've all done it
Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there's a bell curve...and we all start at one end and move towards the other...

I'd be wary about excluding yourself out tho - there are a lot of us here, like me, who could moderate sometimes....but other times when we really needed to...no chance.

It was always down more to luck than good management, y'know?

If you've ever gotten drunk when you said you wouldn't, I think you belong here

D
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

sometimes- became less frequent for me

the problems and vulnerabilities can accumulate
Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You have to decide for yourself, but to me any loss of control is a serious issue, even if its not every time one drinks.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank u for the replies...If I am alcoholic, I'll have to deal with it...it's just I get so much conflicting info.....
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The best thing to do is to see if you can stop drinking. If you can, and find that you are not obsessed with having another drink, that's great! Maybe you'll never want another drink.

But if you say you're going to quit for a week, and at day 6, hour 23, minute 59
you're craving that first drink--then you probably have a problem. In this case, if you don't stop drinking, it is likely that at some point your alcoholism will progress and start ruining your life.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
The best thing to do is to see if you can stop drinking. If you can, and find that you are not obsessed with having another drink, that's great! Maybe you'll never want another drink.

But if you say you're going to quit for a week, and at day 6, hour 23, minute 59
you're craving that first drink--then you probably have a problem. In this case, if you don't stop drinking, it is likely that at some point your alcoholism will progress and start ruining your life.
I can relate to the counting down part so well.

How many times have I said to myself "Ok, Im not gonna drink for two weeks" then I'm literally giddy at the thought the two weeks passing...counting down.

Most of the time I don't make it and justify it by saying "well I will only have a few" and we all know how that goes.

Same song different alki

It's so weird, alcoholism is so universal (obviously by the amount of traffic/users this site alone recieves) yet at times it can feel so lonely. It can feel like you are just another # and every stereotypical alcoholic thing I say everyone has heard 10,000 times.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe it's better just to stick to basics?

ask yourself does my drinking ever cause me problems in my work my health, my relationships or in my reputation?

are these problems one offs, or on a regular basis?

do I structure my life or my social activities around drinking?

do I avoid doing things to drink instead?

if the answer to any of that is yes, then you need to decide what an appropriate response is for you

D
Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

See, I've tried that. I went to detox and went 6 weeks sober....n I liked it! But I'm back here, cos I drank agen...things are not as bad as before but I'm worried. I think I am not an alcoholic, bcsause I compare my situation to others....maybe I shouldn't do that...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Most people without a dinking porblem, have no problems when they drink, and if they do, they stop. If that's a problem, then I'd say you have a problem. The difference between a "problem drinker' and an "alcoholic", IMO is that a problem drinker can say one day, OK, I've had enough of this crap, and be done with it. Then spend the rest of their lives drinking socially, and not getting drunk anymore. To an alcoholic like myself, that though is ludicrious.

In the basic text of AA, the book Alcoholics Anonymous I believe they offer 2 ways you can check to see if you are or not. One is to simply give it up for a year. A non alcoholic would have no problem with that. My parents have done it, my wife does it. If she has 4 drinks a year, it's a lot. The other is to try some controlled drinking and see how that works out. Go out and have just 3 or 4 drinks and stop at that. For a few nights. See what happens. If you can do it successfully a few times in a row, maybe you don't have a problem. If you get into trouble again drinking though, or wind up drunk when you have decided you didn't want to be, well....

Only you are gonna know the deal. Good luck. Either way is great. If you can drink like a "normal" person, that's great. If you can't, there's a wonderful sober life waiting for you on the other side. Lots of people here will confirm that. Regardless of how bleak the thought might seem while still drinking.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not convinced controlled drinking is really the best measure for those of us who still have some measure of control, Joe.

but I manage to control my intake...sometimes
For a long time I could manage to drink 'within' limits on work nights....I took that to mean I had no problem, despite the way I wrote myself off on weekends.

worst. conclusion. ever.

I'm all for the abstinence proposal tho - give it up for 3 months Carly, and I think you should see whether it's a problem or not

D
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dee74 View Post
maybe it's better just to stick to basics?

Ask yourself does my drinking ever cause me problems in my work my health, my relationships or in my reputation? No

are these problems one offs, or on a regular basis? One off

do i structure my life or my social activities around drinking?no

do i avoid doing things to drink instead? No

if the answer to any of that is yes, then you need to decide what an appropriate response is for you

d
im still an alcoholic tho
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

s'ok, I'm not patenting that as a diagnostic tool, bigndfan

D
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not convinced controlled drinking is really the best measure for those of us who still have some measure of control, Joe.
Agreed. I forget sometimes that we all come into recovery at different stages of the game. Some still have some control. There's no need to take it to the bitter end.

This is why I'd never make a good big book thumper.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I know my drinking definately progessed the longer I drank. Yeah there was a time I could have one drink and call it a day. Not anymore. If I have one drink, that is it, I won't stop.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know each alcoholics intake varies, but at least for me...when I sit back and think about it I know I have a problem when "controlling" it means only having 8-12 beers.

wtf lol.

As if that is a productive night or something
Old 01-25-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
I know my drinking definately progessed the longer I drank. Yeah there was a time I could have one drink and call it a day. Not anymore. If I have one drink, that is it, I won't stop.
But at almost all points along the way, I knew it was progressing and that it wasn't good. Actually, my mother first suggested to me I had a drinking problem at age 16, when I had to have a drink every day after work. Then in college I wondered if it was good that drinking interfered with homework. Later in life, I wondered if it was interfering with my running. So I drank more and ran less. Next thing I knew, I had no money and a marriage falling apart. And it all started with having a drink every day after work. Yup, had to be, every day...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Instead of wondering if the label of alcoholic fit me, and struggling with it for decades, I finally had to look at things totally different in order to see that change was absolutely necessary for my life. I had to consider what, if anything, did alcohol add to my life? I tried to consider social lubrication, smooth talking with the ladies, hanging with the guys during the game, and I still came up short in comparison to all the damage my consumption of booze had caused over all the years. Also, I had to consider all the lost opportunities, wasted talent, wasted brain cells, and efforts to get drunk instead of efforts to help myself and other people.

Then, most importantly, I had to decide if I wanted anymore of the same in my life today?
That proved to be the key, for it didn't matter if I was alcoholic, or not, it only mattered if I wanted more of the same consequences from drinking that I'd already had in my life. Thank goodness the answer then and now is no.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd say if you come on to a site like this and have to ask yourself if you have a 'problem', then you probably do. Why not give it up for a month or three and see how you like it. If it's no problem giving it up then maybe you don't have a problem. Give sobriety a try.