Notices

Never Have To Be Alone Again

Old 01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never Have To Be Alone Again

I had to get out of my comfort zone and get involved early on in AA.......

I was not gonna stay sober isolating at home by myself......

That is where my illness wants me all alone so it can tell me how awful I am and how I deserve to have a drink and that I am really not that bad and make me feel all depressed.......

Meetings are not as scary as you think. As soon as they asked if there is anyone new and I raised my hand, I opened the door for help. People talked to me, they listened to me and I related to their stories.........

They had empathy as they all had to go to their first AA meeting once too.What a relief knowing I wasn't alone anymore. People understood me.I found such hope.......

Some seemed to tell my story.

I have found such wonderful support in the program. I know I could call anyone and they would help me if I was down or needed help moving, rides. Anything really, they would be there in a heart beat.......
]
I realized early on that I never have to be alone again if I choose. There is no excuse for me to feel alone and to isolate..........

If I do that is my own choice..........

I have a phone filled with numbers and I also have no excuse to pick up a drink or drug when the help is there.........

And a choice of about 50 AA meetings a week.All within 25 mins. I have no excuse.........

Yes the help is definitely there but I had to get off my rump and find it........

This forum is a very good supplement and I am sure some people have stayed sober with it alone, but I needed meetings.

I really had no excuse good enough to keep me from going to a face to face meetings in light of all the consequences my drinking had brought me.........

The help wasn't gonna come looking for me.If I wanted to get well I had to swallow what little pride I had left and google a meeting for directions and then I had to go.......

If I was not able to do that then I was just not ready to get the help I needed, or at least I didn't want it. There have been plenty of times in the past I did not really want it.........

At one time it was just more comfortable sitting in my own crud. I couldn't get unstuck, but I stayed miserable and I wasted so many days, months and years of my life.........

See if nothing changes , nothing changes........

These AA Forums have been a blessing to my recovery.Knowing I can come on here anytime of the day to share or what I like to do to keep me sober is help someone new and read others experience strength and hope..

I hope if you are new that you try to get to as many meetings as possible and get a home group , a meeting you go to weekly. That way you will experience the fellowship of AA on a smaller scale......

You won't be so overwhelmed......

I am not knocking any other recovery group, I can only share what is working for me...

If you can get to face to face meetings, I highly recommend it. AA/SR online is awesome but it can't replace eye to eye contact and a warm loving hug......

Thank You for being here and being a part of my recovery and if I can help you in anyway just let me know.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey deeker - glad you found something that works for you! Keep it up! I'm kinda shy and reserved around people so I wouldn't be comfortable in that type of setting. I do much better here at SR. Had a horrible day yesterday - lost my job of 5 years. I jumped on-line and poured our my feelings to everyone here. And everyone was so supportive! Today is Day 12 - still sober.