Notices

First time here

Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time here

I quit smoking cigarettes 19 years ago and pot almost 12 years ago. Now working on the alcohol. It is easy to quit but, hard to stay quit. I have not really been keeping up with the days quit but, almost 6 weeks so far. It is hard or I would not have ended up here. After success quitting smoking, confident and determined to quit drinking. Hopefully reading others with the same journey will help.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome David- great decision- staying quit takes some work and commitment- it is so easy to forget.

after many attempts and a six week, and a six month stint of sobriety I have now been sober 20 months. If you need daily support join the daily support threads (see main board for the link)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi david!
I quit smoking pot and cigarettes too a few years ago (after almost 20 years of smoking both), and for myself, I can definitely say that quitting drinking is much more difficult. But I know that the experiences I had leaving my other addictions are helping me to fight the drinking one.
The difference is... Alcohol just so gets into every single aspect of your life that I feel like I have to almost learn how to live again.

I find a lot of support on these forums, and I hope you will too.
All the best!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad you're here! Stick around and have a lot of support on your journey!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR and congrats on your six weeks of being sober. You'll find lots of support here. :ghug3
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR and congrats
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR David x
Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies...still making it
Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi David,

No experience with pot or cigs, but quitting alcohol so far has been the most difficult thing I've ever had to do... so far I've failed repeatedly. The last time I tried to quit, I actually made it 6 weeks about where you are at, then my craving sniped me one Saturday afternoon. It all happened quickly and I let myself talk me in to a bottle of wine... of course, just one. But then it snowballed so quickly. I learned no matter how long you go, it's not like other habits where its gone after a month. Its a part of you and its always in there alive and well wanting to come out. So, its looking like maintaining sobriety is going to be a lifestyle, not just something we work on for a few months. Someone once told me in AA, "I drank everyday of my life up until now, so now I can spend everyday of the rest on my sobriety." Not really an AA'er because I find social situations are a trigger for me, but think that pretty much sums it up for us.

Don't make that mistake I did... it can really set you back. Instead stay on guard and something everyday to reinforce your sobriety.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Happy you found us! You're right, staying quit is the hardest part, especially once we start healing and feeling better inside and out. I found it quite a relief to simply take the option of drinking off the table completely, it's a freedom really!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Garen View Post
Hi David,

No experience with pot or cigs, but quitting alcohol so far has been the most difficult thing I've ever had to do... so far I've failed repeatedly. The last time I tried to quit, I actually made it 6 weeks about where you are at, then my craving sniped me one Saturday afternoon. It all happened quickly and I let myself talk me in to a bottle of wine... of course, just one. But then it snowballed so quickly. I learned no matter how long you go, it's not like other habits where its gone after a month. Its a part of you and its always in there alive and well wanting to come out. So, its looking like maintaining sobriety is going to be a lifestyle, not just something we work on for a few months. Someone once told me in AA, "I drank everyday of my life up until now, so now I can spend everyday of the rest on my sobriety." Not really an AA'er because I find social situations are a trigger for me, but think that pretty much sums it up for us.

Don't make that mistake I did... it can really set you back. Instead stay on guard and something everyday to reinforce your sobriety.

Other habits never do quit either...the little voice is the same and won't shut up completely
Old 02-12-2013, 03:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me, the most powerful forces keeping me from drinking alcohol are-

Memories of how bad I felt when I was drinking and why I stopped in December

Watching drunk people in pubs - seeing how unendearing they are and happy that's not me!

Being able to remember and enjoy more than when I was drinking

Waking up every morning without a hangover and thinking "I'm so glad I didn't drink last night!"

Feeling various aches, pains and anxieties slowly improve

People telling me I look better

Having more energy and focus

Knowing that every day not drinking is a day I am recovering physically and seeing things more clearly

Having an extra £70-£100 per week in my bank account

Being able to plan evenings without constantly factoring in alcohol (can I drink? If so when and how much? etc etc)

One day at a time!

Good luck
Old 02-15-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brazzaville View Post
For me, the most powerful forces keeping me from drinking alcohol are-

Memories of how bad I felt when I was drinking and why I stopped in December

Watching drunk people in pubs - seeing how unendearing they are and happy that's not me!

Being able to remember and enjoy more than when I was drinking

Waking up every morning without a hangover and thinking "I'm so glad I didn't drink last night!"

Feeling various aches, pains and anxieties slowly improve

People telling me I look better

Having more energy and focus

Knowing that every day not drinking is a day I am recovering physically and seeing things more clearly

Having an extra £70-£100 per week in my bank account

Being able to plan evenings without constantly factoring in alcohol (can I drink? If so when and how much? etc etc)

One day at a time!

Good luck
I can relate to ALL the above!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Still making it-----wow
Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations and keep on keepin' on!