Notices

fledgling, scared

Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy fledgling, scared

I've always been a 'party' person, but lately my alone drinking has increased dramatically. Addiction runs strong in my family, and I'm growing increasingly afraid and uncomfortable with my own behaviors. I know it's one day at a time, but I'd really like to bite off a big chunk and do 4, 6 or at least 8 weeks. I'm hoping committing to that will give me the head of steam to keep it going, because the 'never again' tactic is honestly too much now. I'll just be honest and say that I'm looking for stories that people who have drank more than a drink on a nearly daily basis for several years on end were able to just stop for a sizable portion of time. Thanks whoever takes the time to read this, I appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR swiftfox. We're so happy to have you here.

I drank for over 30 yrs. and now have 5 yrs. sober. I knew long ago my drinking was dangerous and unpredictable - but I stupidly tried to control it with willpower. All the determination in the world didn't save me from ending up totally dependent on it. I wish it hadn't had to bring me to my knees. I'm glad you're taking a look at what it's doing to your life so you won't suffer the way many of us have.

Read, post, and look forward to a new way of life. It's only scary for a little while - then it's a huge relief - and wonderful to be free.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!! I decided to give up my daily bottle(s) of wine in October and it was the best choice I have made. The first few days were tough, but each one started getting easier.

Once I got to ninety days I decided to stop counting (I was a little obsessive )

Prior to October I was not sober for more than 16 days in a row (once) and for my three pregnancies. I started drinking when I was 14 on the weekends, when I went away to college the weekends grew longer, and I drank almost daily for most of my 20s and 30s.

This site has been my greatest support system. You will find wonderful people on here, spend some time reading and posting.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh wow, thank you both for the welcome. I've been reading SR posts for a little bit now, and just decided to join tonight. I keep reading things along the lines of 'give it up for 30 days and if it's a problem, you have one'. Dreading it and it's filling me with anxiety, and it hasn't even started. I guess the answer is there. Doesn't make it any easier. Thank you Hevyn and Delilah1, I appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got sober three years ago and don't regret a minute of it. I've never felt better and no longer wake up feeling like hell and hating myself.

So give it up for a period of time and see how you like it. Then decide where to go from there.

:ghug3
Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was a party person, too. In fact, I went to a party at 18 and it didn't end for thirty years.
Then I drank alone. A lot.

You'll find lots of support and sobriety here. Post as often as you like, and just don't drink for today.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome glad you found us, SR was crucial for me
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you've made the decision to stop drinking.

We're here to offer support.