Notices

first admision to someone other than myself

Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first admision to someone other than myself

so its only been four days, and although i have pondered the question my- self for a long time i told my partner i think i have a problem with alcohol! I didnt really want to say anything this early on but was kind of backed in a corner as she had noticed something was bothering me and belive me until the last second i was racking my brain for some other excuse but i just said it.

Im still unsure about me "coming out to her" if you will, theres some releif, but also alot of anxiety because ive said it and its "out" there and theres no taking it back. She was very supportive and i asked if she could be paitent with me and she said yes!

im just rambling, just wanted to write my thoughts down, it helps a bit

mr Krinkle!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mr K.

In my long experience, if you think you have a problem, its very likely you do have one.
Good luck in your ponderings, its a chalenge well worth the thought and efforts.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job on your four days, krinkle.

I'm glad you told her about what's going on. I'm sure you're relieved at her reaction, and that's helpful.

You weren't rambling. We're here to listen and help where we can.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Saying those words for the first time is so difficult, I am glad she was so supportive! Keep reading and posting on here it helps.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

theres some releif, but also alot of anxiety because ive said it and its "out" there and theres no taking it back. She was very supportive and i asked if she could be paitent with me and she said yes!

this all sounds so positive! you know it for yourself, you got it out there to her, you asked if she could help with patience, and she said yes!

it's a GOOD thing you can't take it back....any acknowledgment can only help, even if it leaves you both at a "now what?" place temporarily....
sounds like you just took a giant step towards improving your chances of change.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was very helpful for me to tell my wife that I have a drinking problem and that I can no longer drink alcohol.

I am fortunate to have her supporting my sobriety.

Good for you.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Saying those words for the first time is so difficult, I am glad she was so supportive! Keep reading and posting on here it helps.
Onyah Delilah, genuine support is do terribly important.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Admitting it to yourself is very difficult. Admitting it to someone else is almost as hard because it makes it "real". Like you point out, you can't unsay it. But do the work to stay sober and you'll be amazed how much better your life can be.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have told myself I would quit many times. Only to drink the next day.
After telling my wife, I had to consider my next day choice better. Now I owe it to her to try a little harder, reach out a little farther.
Unfortunately we discussed it while I was pukeing booze. Next day she had a long list of stuff I promised to do (dr's, aa, apologies, etc. ). I was embarrassed and hung over. I too asked for patience. It's now been about two weeks sober and thankfully I can talk about some of it with her. It is giving me that much more strength.