Notices

First day sober - but it's JUST pot!!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day sober - but it's JUST pot!!

It's only been 3 1/2 hours and the thought of not smoking a bowl tonight, or ever again, is driving me crazy. I can't stop thinking about smoking and really want to finish my bag before I quit. Pot isn't supposed to be addictive! My husband smoked for years and had none of the problems I have so he isn't very supportive. He thinks I'm being too hard on myself and I shouldn't worry about quitting cause he knows how much I enjoy smoking. I dunno if i can do this. i wnat to bu i dont want to. i want to smoke so bad. I just have to make it through 5 days then l be ok (I've done this multiple times before). Why cant I get it out of my head? I've gone this long without it before!

What do you guys do to keep your mind off it?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Miriah View Post
It's hard. If you've committed, you have to bear with it until the thoughts pass. Helps to stay busy. I did so by reading as much as I could about addiction and recovery.

Because that's what it is. Addiction. And you need to recover from it.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I used pot to treat my alcoholism.

I had to get out of my head daily.

Pot IS addictive. I gave up alcohol and pot 20+ months ago. It can be done, but it's not easy. I attend AA. There is MA, too!

You can stay stopped, too!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Miriah View Post
I can't stop thinking about smoking and really want to finish my bag before I quit.
Why cant I get it out of my head? I've gone this long without it before!

You need to get it out of your home to get it out of your head. Please flush that stuff down the toilet.

Have you thought about NA? They don't care what or how much you used. If you don't have an "addiction," then just a few meetings might work.

SoberRecovery can help too, but you need to make more than one post per day.

I try not to be pushy here at SR, but it's difficult when my recovery is successful and so many are struggling. My wife agrees that the meetings are what does it. We mostly go to AA meetings, but on Thursdays the only meeting is NA. It's our favorite! To be honest, a big reason is that the people are a little goofier, and the meetings are always fun. Also, I like the literature more than AA.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No I'm not going to go to a meeting, it's a really long story. I'm obviously not dedicated to quitting yet or I would have thrown out my pipe, flushed it, and told my friends to cut me off. I'm not ready to do all that even though I know I should be. I keep making excuses, and I know their excuses. It's like there's two different ppl in me head: the one who wants me to stop, and the one who doesn't.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I have three different people in my head. The person that wants to see me use drugs and ruin my life. The person I am at the moment. And the person that I am growing into. You don't need to go to meetings to get sober. I go to Narcotics Anonymous but that's because it is the only thing that works for me. A lot of different methods work for different people. I keep my mind off drugs by focusing on my recovery. I have a program and I have structure in my life. Why is there an emphasis on making it to 5 days?

Natom.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am an expert on quitting pot. ..because I have quit millions of times. Sometimes for even a whole day!

10 years ago I gave up quitting. Decided I will be a pot smoker forever. I hit the internet to gather some good facts to support my new direction. (so I could feel better about it deep down). I came across a "MA" online site and checked it out for fun. It hit me so hard that there were other people just like me. People that knew me better than I knew myself. I immediately started going to every online meeting. I felt like a human again, not a loser junkie. The strenght I gained was incredible. I picked Jan 1st to be my first clean day. (timed to use the rest of my stash). The morning of the 1st I found a small baggie in my jacket. Jan 2 I found a joint in my truck ashtray. Jan 3 I found a chunk of hash pressed against a toolbox from months before. I realized there was an evil force at work. Jan 4 I flushed a small can of roaches I mysteriously found and made that my first day.
Apparantly it had to me entirely my decision.

The first week was hard (but do-able). My brain tried to convince me it would be okay to smoke. I quickly realized that I cannot debate with myself. I would shurely lose. So I stubbornly planted my feet and never listened to a word I told myself. It has been 10 years and I do not ever allow myself to think about it. I never went to a f2f meeting, never had a sponser, and never really worked the steps.

Thats what worked for me....well sort of.
I relapsed. Not with pot, but with cross addiction in the form of alcohol.
I find myself in the same place as I was 10 years ago but with booze. I quit pot, but I havent addressed whatever it is that I need to address.
I am struggling inside with what to do now.
But If I was advising a person just like me, I would say get to a f2f meeting, address what is going on inside. Otherwise...well, there are a lot of other vices and addictions to fill the void out there.

good luck on your wonderful journey
Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Natom, because 5 days seems to do it for me. If I can last 5 days I can make it.... but the last time I quit after smoking THIS heavily it was the night before I went to Basic Training. Nothing like boot camp to get your mind off pot.

What is it we go through? Detox? Withdrawal? Is it really all just psychological?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Part of addiction is psychological and so thinking about NOT doing it is probably making you batty I bet. Try focusing on other things, "change a thought, move a muscle."

I'm proud of you. My mom has smoked pot since I was a little kid and she was the most ABSENT parent, to this day I totally resent her for it and she never saw it as a problem because it was "natural". It's still a drug.

Keep coming here, keep posting, you'll get tons of support. Welcome to SR!!