Notices

Why am I here?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why am I here?

My little boy, now 21, was the funniest, most loved kid with a fantastic personality and tons of friends. He was active all the time and on the honor roll.
He was adorable and everyone loved him. I constantly got complimented on what a nice kid he was.I was divorced from his Dad when he was 2 and it was he and I against the world!
At 14, I caught him smoking pot. I tried to stop it, but failed. A few years later I agreed to turn a blind eye to it as long as he never drank. I was a child of an alcoholic and for many years a drinker myself. I was a pot head and a coke addict for years due to a horrible home life and was sure it would not happen to my child.
Then junior high and the slipping grades. High school and the belligerent behavior. I chalked it all up to normal teen years.
My world fell out from under me last July when I got up one morning to an empty bank account. The police told me he was a heroin user. I didn't believe them.
I knew he was dabbling in selling small amounts of pot as were all his friends. He hated working. He told me he had tried some hard drugs, but didn't like the way they made him feel and I believed it all. I believed everything he ever told me.
Now two detoxes and two sober houses later, I feel scared and overwhelmed.
How did I get here? What happened?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hugs, that's a very upsetting thing to learn.

There are all kinds of influences in the world and parents cannot protect their kids against all of them.

There is a Friends and Family forum where you will meet other parents living with similar challenges. In the meantime, welcome. You're among friends who understand what it's like.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's the link to that forum Lexie mentioned. Give it a look.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome ILoveMySon1. I'm an active member of both the recovery and Family and Friends boards. We can't control the addict but we can learn to control ourselves.