Notices

Newbie here; is med assisted detox always necessary?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here; is med assisted detox always necessary?

Hi, all. New member here; last drink three days ago. Sunday I felt shaky and had to pay attn to snacking to get blood sugar right. Rehydrating was a given. Yesterday and today I feel fine outside of trouble sleeping but that's pretty standard and one reason I let this get out of control. So my question is whether or not med assisted detox is always necessary/do facilities always insist on it? I'm going to a walk in evaluation Thursday for an outpatient program.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on your three days.
To answer your question, without giving medical advice, is that everyone is different.
It depends on a lot of variables. My best adivice would be to see a doctor and be brutaly honest about your drinking. A health care provider can acess you and determine whether you need a supervised detox.
If you start to show signs of withdrawal head to the emergency room.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovered

Originally Posted by mrscoach2256 View Post
So my question is whether or not med assisted detox is always necessary/do facilities always insist on it?
No. Assisted detox not always necessary.
No. Facilities don't always insist on it.

Do what's right for YOU. An evaluation of your particular situation would be wise.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi, all. New member here; last drink three days ago. Sunday I felt shaky and had to pay attn to snacking to get blood sugar right. Rehydrating was a given. Yesterday and today I feel fine outside of trouble sleeping but that's pretty standard and one reason I let this get out of control. So my question is whether or not med assisted detox is always necessary/do facilities always insist on it? I'm going to a walk in evaluation Thursday for an outpatient program.
Sounds like you are on the right track heading in for an evaluation. Every person is different so some might need medical supervision, some may not. But the only way to find out is to see a doctor and be honest. Do you have someone there that can take you in in an emergency if necessary?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm home alone but I would be sincerely shocked if I ran into a problem. Outside of fatigue I'm doing well and have been watching my pulse rate, etc. I'm not shaky, twitchy, no headache, not flushed, no GI upset, etc. Have been taking my multivitamin, additional vit. C supplement, silymarin, water, Gatorade, and a series of smaller meals vs getting full. All things considered I'm pleased bc I'm three days into no booze, no cigarettes, and no coffee - bc these trigger each other. Glutton for punishment, I guess.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

The only way you could be sure is to see a medical professional.

Natom.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I I'm three days into no booze, no cigarettes, and no coffee - bc these trigger each other. Glutton for punishment, I guess.
Holy smokes woman, you better make a BUNCH of posts here! There's threads here for all those things, especially "punishment."
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it was, then you would read about the just completed medically assisted detox in every newcomer thread. There are very few. Spend the hours you need to review them until you've found 5 mentions by new people who completed a medically assisted detox.

Then you'll have a good grasp of how necessary it is.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend everybody at least see a Dr.
I didn't - I ended up with a series of mini strokes.

Others do die.

Sure it doesn't happen to everyone, but that's the other side of the coin here.

D