Notices

Good Morning from the Frozen Tundra

Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good Morning from the Frozen Tundra

Hello Friends,

I'm making my first post in the Newcomers to Recovery Forum as suggested by the site administrators. I joined your fabulous community this weekend while feeling a bit alone, not really lonely as I've felt that when surrounded by people but just very, well quiet. In any case I searched around the net and found a couple sober chats. Signed up, checked in and was most comfortable here. I was immediately greeted by some great folks in the chat room and had a nice visit. Left a bit abruptly when I took a call, that didn't end, but I'm looking forward to meeting some new sober friends and will check back soon!

Thank you all for being here and my heartfelt best of wishes for all of us in our recovery journey.

Best,
HappilySober

:
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
xuse

Welcome
Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome,

This is the best place I've found online. Once I found it, I quit looking elsewhere online, although I still seek out face to face support. But you've gotta do what works for you, and if you find something that's more suited to you, by all means, go for it.

As someone else said, we may have different approaches to climbing the mountain, but we're all climbing the same mountain and can use advice and feedback from our comrades striving for that ever elusive peak.

Well, just think about how hot and muggy it's going to be in Minnesota in the summer, average it out with how cold and blistery it is now, and you have perfect weather. At least I think it's muggy in the summer. That's what someone I worked with who grew up there said.

I grew up in New Jersey, and it got muggy there in the summer. How muggy? Eh, my memory isn't the best. It's been a long time. I do remember the ringlets of my freshly shampooed hair freezing when I was waiting at the bus stop to go to school as a kid in the winter.

And I remember the 6 foot high snow drifts in the back yard and snow days off of school, putting chains on tires, etc.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How long have you been happily sober?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How 'do! Congrats on your sobriety - aint it great??!!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome, we are all here for support
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
How long have you been happily sober
Congratulations on being happily sober since January 5!

SO our next question is, have you thought about AA or NA? There's a lot of info here at SR if you have questions.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good to be here

Hey Happily, I have been on the A roller coaster for some time. Not sure I'll ever find prolonged peace, but my longest success (3mo a year ago) came during my initial involvement with SR. I'm here again, working Day14 today, and hoping to find success. Stay here with us and help yourself get well. I find the people here to be accepting, understanding and informative. Best of luck to you, and welcome!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HappilySoberNow View Post
Hello Friends,

I'm making my first post in the Newcomers to Recovery Forum as suggested by the site administrators. I joined your fabulous community this weekend while feeling a bit alone, not really lonely as I've felt that when surrounded by people but just very, well quiet. In any case I searched around the net and found a couple sober chats. Signed up, checked in and was most comfortable here. I was immediately greeted by some great folks in the chat room and had a nice visit. Left a bit abruptly when I took a call, that didn't end, but I'm looking forward to meeting some new sober friends and will check back soon!

Thank you all for being here and my heartfelt best of wishes for all of us in our recovery journey.

Best,
HappilySober

:
Welcome to the group from another frozen Minnesotan. Been here 2 weeks myself and it has really helped the journey.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You won't be alone here Happily! Welcome to SR, and stay warm.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, HappilySober and Chainsaw, welcome to SR. Glad you found us here. There is a lot of support and experience here from folks who are happy to share with you. You can find AA help and advice here, as well as information about other successful techniques too which are not 12 step based.

There are lots of options for you, but they all start with a decision to stop drinking. Best to you.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! Sending you some sunshine from Cali.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Talking about the SR troops Rallying for support

Hi everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to welcome me to the SR community. I signed on for a bit before work this morning to get/give support in starting my day. I was eager to get home tonight and check the new posts of others. What a treat to find all your responses to my early am post! Thanks also for the sage advice, the sunshine and the positive attitudes...yes, it is great!

This place is good....

Happily

p.s. I'm currently attending a weekly SMART recover group.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'd like to add my welcome too, Happily.

It's good to hear you feel comfortable in our company. The people here got me back on my feet when I didn't think it was possible. The hope and encouragement they offered took away my fear. Glad to have you with us.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Happily - you're more than welcome to my home group Cavelier Club on Valley View Rd in Edina Th 7:30pm there's also an amazing speaker meeting

Three Legacies Meeting of A.A.
Open Speaker Meeting
Fridays at 7:30 PM
Cross of Glory Baptist Church
SW Corner Excelsior & Shady Oak Rd.
Hopkins, MN 55343
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! Glad you found us! :ghug3