Question??

Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question??

I think I read somewhere that an incarcerated addict is considered an active addict, they are just unable to use their DOC because they are incarcerated. When this person is released from prison would rehab be unnecessary because the person detoxed while in prison, so NA meetings and maybe counseling would be what's needed? I'm thinking rehab would still be necessary because the person has not learned how to avoid using their DOC or how to deal with stress or triggers. Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a friend, who after five years of prison, (and abstinence from using his DOC) remained clean and sober but not without going to NA meetings (he began attending those meetings while incarcerated). He is now an interventionist and works at an excellent rehab program.

There is a mistaken thought process that being clean and sober is all it takes for an addict to be in recovery from drug addiction. Many of the addicts I know who have long term recovery have told me that getting off the substances is just the "easy" part.....it's changing all of the behaviors associated with their addiction that was the really tough part. But then, I also know addicts with long term abstinence who continue to have a pretty messed up thought process.

If this person didn't take advantage of any programs or counseling while incarcerated, I would be very surprised if they suddenly decide to do it on the outside.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sure every rehab is different, but in my experience insurance wouldn't pay for rehab unless the addict was actively using....as in using withing the previous 48 hours or something like that. They would pay for IOP (intensive outpatient) treatment based on his abuse history and if/when the person relapsed at that point would approve inpatient treatment.

That is how insurance treats the issue. If one was paying cash, the protocol is probably much more relaxed as they will happily take your money!

Does that help answer your question?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

If incarcerated for drugs, most likely, part of his parole will be to attend meetings for x number of meetings. They go to the meetings because they have to, not because they want to.

So, are you still no contact with abf...and...working on you?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses. Yes Dollydo, I am still no contact. I was wondering about something he said in a letter about rehab and comparing it to some of the info in the stickys. Oh, and the list of what addicts say while in jail. The stickys are pretty much dead on!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it all depends on the person and what kind of work the individual does while in jail. I am a recovered heroin addict and a loved one of a recovered heroin addict and I know that for each of us our journey was much different.

Some go to jail and all they do is count down the days til they can get out and go use. Others take advantage of drug programs offered and use their time locked up to dig into themselves and evaluate where there life is going and to make a plan for change when they get out. Rehab will only help the person that is willing to get something out of it.

Only time will tell whether your loved one has been sitting there counting the days til he can use again or if he has been making a plan and deciding to turn his life around. In the mean time, take care of you and make a plan to start living the life you deserve.

hugs

Maylie
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Good for you!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not to hijack the Op but do most prisons offer meetings?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yes, CB, i believe they do! It's part of the service work that members of AA/NA do, isn't it?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
yes, CB, i believe they do! It's part of the service work that members of AA/NA do, isn't it?
I don't know, I know some prisons have a drug program of some type my son was sent to one that does, I have no clue how any of it works maybe I am grasping at straws and trying to control again?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, he says he is in NA classes now. I think the inmate may have to ask for help. I'm not sure. I'm not sure how effective it is either judging by some of the topics he says they discuss, but then again he may be just twisting the subjects to get a response from me! Oh, he did mention it's different people that come each time.