Notices

New here, looking for support/advice

Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, looking for support/advice

Hi all. I'm new to this. Here's some of my story:
I'm looking for help and support to continue to stay sober. I didn't think I needed help but the more I read about it the more I'm learning that to stay sober I would be more successful with help. I am 17 days sober so far on my own. Pretty good I think? Before I quit drinking, I was drinking all day, everyday, and had a glass of alcohol on my nightstand almost every night for when I would wake up in the middle of the night to take a sip. I drank before, during and after work. The last time I quit was 2008 for 1 month.
I am married, but my husband left me just before Christmas because he was frustrated with my drinking. This is what jolted me into facing my issues with alcohol.
I am currently employed but have missed shifts because of hangovers or simply because I am too drunk to answer a shift opportunity. I have been fired from a job due to drinking. My current job means so much to me that I'm using it as one of my main reasons to stay sober. The other reasons are my husband, and my boys. My boys, ages 15 and 17 thankfully live with their dad (not due to my drinking) so they don't see most of it. They have seen me drunk on more than one occasion though and I am completely ashamed of it.
My drinking is definitely not the only issue in my marriage, but it is probably the biggest issue. My husband says he won't come back unless I get help. When he first left, I was just hurt and angry with him and refused to be honest with myself about my role in his leaving. After the anger subsided, I started adding up the amount of alcohol I was consuming and it was eye opening. I tapered the amount I drank down around the holidays because I was afraid of the withdrawal symptoms I would've had if I had just up and quit. After two weeks of drinking less often, I quit altogether.
And here I am. Not sure about going to AA? Not very good at expressing myself in front of groups (without alcohol) so the idea of it scares me. Looked into outpatient centers but can't commit to the required 6 days a week, 3 hours a day. Looking for other options and found this site. It's a start I guess...
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

There's lots of info here about AA. It saved me and my wife!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to SR

You have found the place for support and advice and we are always here to help you achieve your goal of sobriety.

Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking.

Good things are headed your way!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi there,

Congrats on your 17 days! That IS a great start--you got through the initial withdrawal/detox stage.

You're very smart to look for help so you can keep this thing rolling. Quitting drinking is actually the easy part--staying stopped is the challenge.

AA has been GREAT for me. You don't have to do a lot of speaking--most of the meeting is listening, and you never HAVE to talk if you don't want to. I am going to share an article that will answer most questions or concerns you might have about going to your first AA meeting. It's the most accurate one I've ever seen, and it takes a lot of the mystery out of what to expect.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Siesta,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on 17 days and taking this step to seek support. Keep going.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement and the AA info