Notices

Help with meetings

Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with meetings

Hey all-

I just celebrated my first birthday in AA. To be honest, meetings are getting harder and harder for me to attend. I live in a community that does not have many AA meetings and it seems like people are all caught up in their little group (its almost clique like). Basically, I think I kind of rubbed people the wrong way when I first came into the program and am wanting to sort of re-invent myself in AA. Any ideas?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Congrats on your one year - that's great!

As for your issue - if what you say about rubbing people the wrong way is true - are there amends to be made in that regard, you think? What does your sponsor say about your situation? What does "sort of" re-inventing yourself look like?

Sorry about peppering questions - feel free to ignore them
Old 01-21-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

How about some service work?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Wareagle,

Welcome to the forums. I'm an NA'er myself but have attended AA meetings in the past. Very rarely have I ever been to a meeting with a 'clique' but when I have it has been very noticeable. It's all about unity. You could do some service work like MI has suggested but if it was me I would casually chuck in some sharing about group unity and the traditions. It might work.

Natom.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you tried all meetings that are in the vicinity of your area? I'm in Chicago, which has a ridiculous amount of meetings, so while I can't relate, I can tell you I understand your pain. I've been to a few clique-y meetings and as an alcoholic in early recovery, those types of meetings made me ANXIOUS!

If I were you, when it is your turn to speak in a discussion meeting, be honest. Say you need to get something off your chest. Tell them that you feel like you would like to reinvent yourself because you feel like you came across different in the beginning. I mean, if you can be honest anywhere -- it's at an AA meeting. Getting it out in the open will help you as well as the others who know you.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Years ago I was turned off when I was first introduced to AA due to the "clique"ness...

Fortunately I gave it another try and have been able to find some great meetings locally... Of course we have 100's of meetings in my town so it's not so much of an issue... I think some good advise was dispensed above... Sometimes I think it is more of an issue of my perception and not as bad as I made those meetings out to be...
Old 01-21-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wareagle877 View Post
Hey all-

I just celebrated my first birthday in AA. To be honest, meetings are getting harder and harder for me to attend. I live in a community that does not have many AA meetings and it seems like people are all caught up in their little group (its almost clique like). Basically, I think I kind of rubbed people the wrong way when I first came into the program and am wanting to sort of re-invent myself in AA. Any ideas?
I recently read an article by Norman Vincent Peale talking about getting folks to like us.

He said the best way to get folks to like you is to like them !!

What does your sponsor say about your situation ?? Hopefully he's not in the clique that snubs you.

Do not re-invent yourself... you will not like what you become and you will be extremely disappointed. Not good.

All the best.

Bob R