Notices

weepy

Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

weepy

hi all, just a wee question...
have now been sober 20 days (wooooooooooooohooooooooo!!!!!) and feeling very proud of myself and positive for the future- i cannot believe i've actually done it!!!! yay for me....
am still having sleep disturbances and difficulty getting up in the morning, however of more concern to me is my apparent emotional instability. the last few days, though i feel well in myself and not at all tempted to drink, i've a few times just suddenly burst into tears and find myself unable to stop crying!
am not this kind of person at all, i very rarely cry or feel the need to, and having it happen for no discernable reason is very upsetting.
my life is wonderful, full of amazing people and loads of things to do, so am not bored or anything, now i've got control of my drinking theres nothing missing.
so why so weepy? any ideas folks...
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had that too Kitty. It really got beyond a joke at one point, I would randomly burst into tears for no reason whatsoever. I reckon it was just all the emotional stuff I had covered up by drinking all those years. It did calm down eventually though I still veer towards the weepy side x
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I think this is completely normal for a couple of reasons. For the first time in a long time you are feeling again. For so long I was emotionally numb and once the alcohol had been removed all of the surpressed feelings came rushing back. The other is your brain chemistry is returning to normal. I experienced all sorts or weird emotional highs and lows.

The good news is they get better the longer you are sober. Just take it a day at a time and when you look back you will realize you are getting better.

AA has a solution for the mental aspect of recovery and all you have to do is want it and show up to meetings.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

wooooooooooooohooooooooo!!!!! Go Kitty!

A lot of us need lots of help in recovery. Try just posting more here at SR!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, I'm pretty sure it's just another sign that your brain is healing.

You know how sometimes a cut will itch like crazy when it's healing? You don't keep itching once it's healed.

Alcohol wreaks major havoc on the brain. It takes quite a while for it to function in a normal way again. Just be patient with yourself. Stressing over the PAWS weirdness actually aggravates it. Just carry lots of tissues in the meantime!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

whoooo indeed; congrats on the 20 days.

if you read here more, you'll see that many, if not all of us, have that emotional roller-coaster thing going in new sobriety. and for myself i found that "am not this kind of person at all..." was just an idea i'd kept carrying around, an idea about the kind of person i am. in reality, i didn't really know "what kind of person..." i was, as it was all shot through with drinking or fighting against drinking or fighting against myself or...
anyway, takes time to find out and discover who we are. keep going, be patient with yourself, and allow yourself to be in the feeling...see if you're losing something to weep about. maybe life is not all wonderful after all? just something to be prepared for, that possibility....
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

While the alcohol has left your system, the effects of drinking to excess for a long period of time take much longer to leave your subconscious. As the saying goes 'this too shall pass'.

In my case it took about 3 months for the effects of 35 years of getting drunk every day to subside. In the meantime, getting up and going for a walk, concentrating on housework and posting here at SR helped control my emotions.

It is pretty weird when you cry at a commercial or some stupid tv show but in time these feelings will disappear.

Congratulations on 20 days!!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am on day 9 without a drink and have been having trouble sleeping. I've been sleeping during the day. But today I am staying up and going to try to sleep tonight. I cried today because I felt a rush of sadness that came out of nowhere, and I haven't cried in years. One moment I am angry, the next moment I feel guilty, then I will feel fatigued. I hope it gets better.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's completely normal to cry for no apparent reason. It's probably stuff you haven't addressed, but I wouldn't beat myself up trying to figure out what it is. I think just working through the emotion is sufficient. If there's something specific in your past that you need to address, your brain will let you know eventually. For the time being, it's good to just feel the emotions.

Of course, if it's anger, it's probably best to do that when you're alone and not punch a hole in the wall or smash ceramics. Likewise, breaking down crying is best avoided in a job interview.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on your 20 days! I think we all feel a little crazy at first - I know I did. Lots of mood swings, even when there was nothing to be moody about! It evens out, don't worry.:ghug3
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Happened to me too and continues to happen at times..I am 68 days sober. Maybe just chemical brain changes, feeling emotions...who really knows right? But I always feel better after a good cry and I think in time it will dissapate.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Please try to stay positive, it's really hard I know..
The sleep depravation is prob the biggest culprit for your low mood.
Hang on in there
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

keep going, we can do this...good luck