Notices

day 7 and then day 8 fail

Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 7 and then day 8 fail

of course, i was feeling great. 7 days of no alcohol and then day 8 I put myself in the wrong situation. Went to neighbors house where everyone was drinking. I had coffee for awhile but then my AV was playing the usual tune. 1 beer, turned into 3 which turned into a trip to the bar for 2 more.

Not a blowout but enough to wake me up at 4am feeling crappy and wondering why I just did that. And this after getting such a good night's sleep all week. I failed and that pisses me off.

So back to day 1 for me. This is my 3rd slip this month. I need to catch something this time.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If what you are doing is not working what are you going to change?

If we always do, what we always did, we will always get, what we always got
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Well, first--this seems obvious--don't put yourself in those situations. If you don't want to drink, you are going to have to change your social life.

And second--you've probably heard this before--are you going to meetings, working with a sponsor, and doing the steps?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Well, first--this seems obvious--don't put yourself in those situations. If you don't want to drink, you are going to have to change your social life.

And second--you've probably heard this before--are you going to meetings, working with a sponsor, and doing the steps?
Ditto to what Cold said.

In the beginning, I always had an out if I knew I would be around people drinking and if and when I felt that I was getting "thirsty" I bailed. HOWEVER, at the same time, I also avoided situations I could at all cost. Believe it or not I had to bail on MY BIRTHDAY!! I couldn't drink, and went home.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know how they say if you want change, make change?
I had to make some real changes halfv....

It was tough and it made my inner brat really throw a tantrum about how unfair it was I had to change my life, and how it would all 'become boring' and I'd never have 'fun' anymore...

but I'm glad I ignored all that nonsense and I stuck with it.

I have a life I really really love now

D
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by halfvictory View Post
of course, i was feeling great. 7 days of no alcohol and then day 8 I put myself in the wrong situation. Went to neighbors house where everyone was drinking. I had coffee for awhile but then my AV was playing the usual tune. 1 beer, turned into 3 which turned into a trip to the bar for 2 more.

Not a blowout but enough to wake me up at 4am feeling crappy and wondering why I just did that. And this after getting such a good night's sleep all week. I failed and that pisses me off.

So back to day 1 for me. This is my 3rd slip this month. I need to catch something this time.
I applaud your strength in getting back up after a setback. Setbacks can be beneficial, so long as we learn from them.

Why did you do it? Were you aware that my allowing yourself to drink, you would in fact be working against your goal of sobriety?

What is it exactly that you're hoping to catch that will keep you sober?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know what I'm looking to catch - something that sticks this time. I appreciate the support and advice.

And I have to decide on whether or not to do AA or at least something different.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Halfvictory - almost 90 days ago, I wanted to be sober and I've tried everything for 2 years...online chat groups, antabuse, switching people, places and things. NOTHING worked and my disease progressed and I just couldn't see how meetings and AA could help.

Please, this is one of those things I know people hate to hear because I hated to hear it, but I just couldn't do it anymore and surrendered completely...which, for me, was very different than trying to stop drinking. I couldn't stop drinking. Failed over and over and over.

So, I planned on trying something that has indeed worked for millions of people and that is AA. I immersed myself though I didn't want to and I didn't know if it would work for me because of course, I thought I was "special" and "different" - haha, yeah right!

I committed to 90 meetings in 90 days. I committed to finding a sponsor no matter how anxious that made me feel. I hated the beginning - I was soooo nervous. But, I'm on day 86 and I've never felt better sober in my life. It feels good. Complete. Productive. Happy. I feel in control of my life, for once, and the only thing I did different was see a therapist and go to AA everyday and talk with a sponsor.

Try it. It can't hurt and again - there is proof it works.
Good luck to yoU!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, now you know you're not ready to go somewhere where alcohol is being served. I found that out the hard way too, and I just had to accept my life needed to change. You can do this!