Notices

Day 10 - PAWS?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10 - PAWS?

The good news is that I have nine days of sobriety under my belt. The bad news is that emotionally, I'm kind of a train wreck. I don't have any cravings for alcohol, but my emotions are all over the place. For example, I was going to a nice restaurant for dinner on Saturday. The restaurant is always busy and there is always a wait. When they told us it was going to be an hour or so. I said lets leave, only to come back and wait and sit down. At that moment, I felt like I just couldn't take it. I have been so irritable with terrible mood swings. It is horrible. On a positive note, I will say that it is strengthening my resolve not to drink. I want to get past this point in my sobriety and never look back. However, the point of this post is to ask if anyone has any tips or tricks for making it through PAWS?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I was up, down, left and right for maybe the first six weeks and then it got a lot more calm .
I tried to remember to back off and calm down , especially when driving , i found shouting and swearing and hitting the pillow some relief .. sometimes thrashing about in a swimming pool .

It is only temporary (i hope ) stick with it ..

10 days

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found swimming to help immensely actually. You're a bit isolated in your own mind with your head under water. There's no outside stimuli to mess with you or aggravate. My form of meditation for sure
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I agree with ddrayer--exercise is a major part of my recovery. Yes, we need to find a higher power or do our PAWS, but it's also good to get OUT of our heads from time to time. They say to try meditation, but I don't have patience for that. I've got to be doing something.

Here is how: open the door, go outside, and put one foot in front of the other...

(For more info, go to http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-16-a.html)
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been dealing with PAWS as well. I am at 26 days with no drink. Try and relax, eat right, go for walks. Try and goto an AA meeting to talk with other people who are having this problem.

I have done a lot of research on this and it will get better, it just takes some time. You have to keep telling yourself that!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I will agree with the sentiment posted above, that exercise really helps. I didn't get my run in on Saturday and that is when I got overly aggravated with things. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Change your mood with some good music

Depending on how long you were drinking , those feelings will fade with time. In my case after getting drunk every day for 35 years, it took about 3 months for me. Exercise definitely helps but music is also a powerful tool in my arsenal.

I attend concerts often and really enjoy good music. Put on your favorite CD or concert DVD and turn the volume UP! Sing at the top of your lungs.

Here is a great song that has become my anthem for sobriety. Listen closely to the lyrics, I find that I could have writen them.
JOE WALSH - ONE DAY AT A TIME - YouTube