Notices

Sharp, Stabbing Chest Pain?

Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Sharp, Stabbing Chest Pain?

Hi guys,

I know you can't diagnose me, but I'm just wondering if anyone experienced sharp, stabbing chest pain after about 2 weeks of withdrawing/detoxing at home? If so, how much were you drinking when you stopped? I was drinking 20 units a day about 4 days a week.

It's nearly 2am here and the pain just went by itself, but if it returns and it's worse than ever, I'll go to my GP when they open at 7am.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Louise

Chest pain really should be seen to - it may prove to be nothing, but just to be safe.
I hope you will get it checked out

welcome to SR

D
Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
Hi guys,

I know you can't diagnose me, but I'm just wondering if anyone experienced sharp, stabbing chest pain after about 2 weeks of withdrawing/detoxing at home? If so, how much were you drinking when you stopped? I was drinking 20 units a day about 4 days a week.

It's nearly 2am here and the pain just went by itself, but if it returns and it's worse than ever, I'll go to my GP when they open at 7am.

Thanks.
First and foremost you need to chew slowly and swallow two aspirins. right now then come back
Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heart Attack Signs in Women

Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest. It lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.
Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain.

If you have any of these signs, don’t wait more than five minutes before calling for help. Call 9-1-1 and get to a hospital right away.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Louise

Chest pain really should be seen to - it may prove to be nothing, but just to be safe.
I hope you will get it checked out

welcome to SR

D
Thanks for the welcome, Dee. Ok, I'll go to my doctor in the morning, whatever happens.
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets remember we can't give medical advice here.
None of us are Drs

Good call Louise - it may be anxiety, or it may be something else - the only way to know for sure is let someone assess you in person

if you feel concerned before tomorrow hit the A&E (ER)

D
  # 7 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by AngelBabe View Post
First and foremost you need to chew slowly and swallow two aspirins. right now then come back
Ok, I'll go see if I have any aspirin and will come back.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by AngelBabe View Post
Heart Attack Signs in Women

Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest. It lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.
Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain.

If you have any of these signs, don’t wait more than five minutes before calling for help. Call 9-1-1 and get to a hospital right away.
Thanks for this. I think it lasted less than 5 minutes so I'll just chew aspirin as you suggested and see how I feel.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Lets remember we can't give medical advice here.
None of us are Drs

D

Ok, I get it but a heart attack or potential for one needs to be treated now not later. The info I provided came from a link from the American Heart Association. I had this happen to me so it is something very near to my own heart.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. I think it lasted less than 5 minutes so I'll just chew aspirin as you suggested and see how I feel.

Did you detox without medical assistance? I had this happen to me several days in one time. Do a search for your symptoms and you should find a lot of info. I know chewing those aspirins is nasty.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I just chewed and swallowed 2 aspirins. The pain hasn't returned since the first time, but I'll still go to the doctor's when it opens.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just chewed and swallowed 2 aspirins. The pain hasn't returned since the first time, but I'll still go to the doctor's when it opens.

It is always better to have it checked out just in case. mine turned out to be not only from anxiety & stress from the detox but extremely high blood pressure too. I was kept at the hospital in the cardiac unit for three days and am now on 2 blood pressure meds per day.

Best wishes for you.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let us know how you make out at the drs tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Please follow through and get to the Dr first thing tomorrow.

Chest pain like that should not be ignored.... and please post here again to let us know how you are doing.

While very few of us actually know each other, we are FAMILY with a common goal.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Thanks for the concern. I went to the doctor and described the symptoms and she checked me over. I also explained to her that I've recently given up drinking and that I'm stressing out about work/financial problems etc. She said that I'd had an anxiety attack (which is consistent with what I physically/emotionally felt during it).

I'm already on citalopram so she didn't prescribe me any SSRIs but she referred me to counselling and printed out some breathing exercises for me to do.

Also, I went to my first ever AA meeting on Friday so hopefully if I keep going to those and post on SR regularly, that will also help ease my mental stress and anxiety.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Thanks for checking in

I have found that when I would have an anxiety attack the best thing to do was put my boots on and go for a walk. I just grab a bottle of water and concentrate on each step and keep moving for at least 1/2 an hour.

I used to have really bad anxiety attacks.... to the point where I would be bouncing off the floor! I thought if I just lied down and tried to be very quiet, I would get over it but then my mind would start racing and I would spiral out of control.

Counseling definitely helped but physical excersion helped more, in my case.

I'm so glad that you dont have a more serious problem.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you got checked out Louise

D
Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by Hope4Life View Post
I have found that when I would have an anxiety attack the best thing to do was put my boots on and go for a walk. I just grab a bottle of water and concentrate on each step and keep moving for at least 1/2 an hour.

I used to have really bad anxiety attacks.... to the point where I would be bouncing off the floor! I thought if I just lied down and tried to be very quiet, I would get over it but then my mind would start racing and I would spiral out of control.

Counseling definitely helped but physical excersion helped more, in my case.

I'm so glad that you dont have a more serious problem.
I'm glad you found a way to manage your anxiety attacks. I'll definitely try to get more exercise and fresh air.