Notices

I have to share this

Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have to share this

I was at a meeting tonight and saw a woman I had not seen in quite some time. She is not doing well. She looked haggard, she was shaking and said it was because she was cold, and she was telling me about losing custody of her kids temporarily. She was all over the place but acted like everything was fine. I know it's not.

It was like looking in the mirror. I don't have kids, but I have been where she is, and not too long ago. It bothers me a lot because she was doing well and I was not.

Here's a wake up call: alcoholics can tell when other alcoholics are not doing well. No telling how many people worried about me. I sat there and lied and said everything was great. Your face and eyes are a road map for how you are doing.

I can't decide if I feel like crap or if I feel so grateful that I am not where she is. I feel guilty for thinking it. I told her we should stay in touch. I have no idea what I can do to help, except to be sober and be present.

I am so thankful to have SR and to be sober. I wish I could make one of y'all meet me for dinner because after two nights I am tired of eating alone!

Husband's back on Monday, tomorrow I work 1-6. I am doing this. I CAN do this, alone or otherwise.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a tough one, isn't it, Elisabeth! It's hard when you see someone slowly failing, especially someone who has helped you in the past. What I try to remember is that we are all where we should be. We are all on this journey together, and yet it's our individual journey.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post

Here's a wake up call: alcoholics can tell when other alcoholics are not doing well. No telling how many people worried about me. I sat there and lied and said everything was great. Your face and eyes are a road map for how you are doing.

e.

Oh Elizabeth this is so true.

Just a few days ago I saw a recent picture of someone I know...the eyes, the face...tells me exactly how she's doing. I can't help her until she says the word...

I'm very grateful that my eyes tell a very different story now.

I'm alone for dinner tonight too...so let's be alone together
Old 01-19-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I was at a meeting tonight and saw a woman I had not seen in quite some time. She is not doing well. She looked haggard, she was shaking and said it was because she was cold, and she was telling me about losing custody of her kids temporarily. She was all over the place but acted like everything was fine. I know it's not.

It was like looking in the mirror. I don't have kids, but I have been where she is, and not too long ago. It bothers me a lot because she was doing well and I was not.

I can't decide if I feel like crap or if I feel so grateful that I am not where she is. I feel guilty for thinking it. I told her we should stay in touch. I have no idea what I can do to help, except to be sober and be present.

I am so thankful to have SR and to be sober. I wish I could make one of y'all meet me for dinner because after two nights I am tired of eating alone!

Husband's back on Monday, tomorrow I work 1-6. I am doing this. I CAN do this, alone or otherwise.
You can call her. Reach out. Try to meet up with her tomorrow if you think she is in trouble. You can help when no one else can. Follow your heart.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that Elizabeth. Perhaps you know the Emerson, Lake & Palmer song, "oh, what a Lucky Man he was."

The fact is, we don't know until the fat lady sings. The person in the worst circumstances can shine and visa versa.