Notices

Struggle at Night Time

Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggle at Night Time

I'm fine during the daytime hours, even grateful that I didn't drink the night before. Once night time rolls around I get this sinking feeling. It exacerbated tonight because its Saturday night, I just wish I didn't feel like this *sigh*

My thoughts are racing and I feel restless. I rented Brave but I can't get into it. I also ate a bowl of ice cream...I'm going to get fat if I keep going at this rate. I did as much as I could today to tire myself out: walked a trail, did laundry, cleaned up, went to the gym for an hour and a half, went to the bank. I feel lonely I guess. And bored. I'm going to take a bath and try to fall asleep early. Night time on the weekends is dangerous territory for me.

Does anyone have any methods to combat this feeling? I was also wondering if anyone took a xanax or something to calm down when feeling anxious, to keep from reaching for a drink? I haven't, I don't want to replace one bad habit with another, but I was contemplating it.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Think of how you would feel tomorrow morning if you drank tonight. Think of the physical, and the emotional hell you would have to go through if you pick up that drink tonight.

Now think of how you WILL feel tomorrow morning when you wake up feeling great and can start your day clear headed and feeling great with the knowledge that you won again!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

The only thing I can recommend is some herbal teas. If you do get an urge to drink sit down for 5 minutes and remember all of the consequences that occured because of your drinking. Sometimes we just have to tough it out and work through it. The outcome is worth it though.

Natom.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thinking about feeling good tomorrow is what keeps me from meeting friends or buying wine.

Thanks for the recommendation, Natom. I made some dandelion root tea. I had it in the bath, I feel more relaxed now.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do some 12 step work, service gets u out of ur own self.

Call ur friends and get them over to keep u company or go out I find boredom is a HUGE trigger for me
Old 01-19-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Urge surfing might help?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Janie,
Can totally relate. I am bored and lonely too...for me this is a recipe for disaster so I have to combat it with positive coping tools. Today I was really down in it and had a big urge to drink. My friend picked me up and I went to my second AA meeting today. So for me, it's meetings and reaching out to other alcoholics in recovery via phone/SR if I can't get to one. When I get into bed I thank my higher power for another sober day. This is when I finally feel safe because the liquor stores are closed and the biggest part of the day is done. I don't always think to that extreme but some days are better than others. You did a lot of good things for yourself today so be proud
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by janiebluebird View Post
I'm fine during the daytime hours, even grateful that I didn't drink the night before. Once night time rolls around I get this sinking feeling. It exacerbated tonight because its Saturday night, I just wish I didn't feel like this *sigh*

My thoughts are racing and I feel restless. I rented Brave but I can't get into it. I also ate a bowl of ice cream...I'm going to get fat if I keep going at this rate. I did as much as I could today to tire myself out: walked a trail, did laundry, cleaned up, went to the gym for an hour and a half, went to the bank. I feel lonely I guess. And bored. I'm going to take a bath and try to fall asleep early. Night time on the weekends is dangerous territory for me.

Does anyone have any methods to combat this feeling? I was also wondering if anyone took a xanax or something to calm down when feeling anxious, to keep from reaching for a drink? I haven't, I don't want to replace one bad habit with another, but I was contemplating it.
Thank You for this post.....I feel the exact same way.......
Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The nights were the worst for me the first month or 2, I still have evenings where I think I need a drink, but its alot better. Your doing great, keep up the good work
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

night time is pretty hard for me too cause I get bored and that was usually my routine to have some drinks before bed everynight to help me relax and not think or worry about my problems, kind of numbs my mind and made me feel good at the time...stay strong and try to keep busy...get into some good movies, read books...ect..good luck
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The nights are the worst for me as well. I have been making a habit of drinking a cup of sleepy time tea instead. I just keep trying to remember how great I will wake up feeling in the morning and how much more I can enjoy the day with my son if I'm not hungover. Wishing you the best.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Listen to dee74. Read the link on urge surfing it realy made sense to me and I hope it can help you with the late night cravings. Stay Strong!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Binuaral beats. If all else fails, try it. Basically low frequency waves that affect your brain waves, relax you and induce sleep. Totally harmless. Saved me from going insane the first few nights

"When the perceived beat frequency corresponds to the delta, theta, alpha, beta, or gamma range of brainwave frequencies, the brainwaves entrain to or move towards the beat frequency.[29] For example, if a 315 Hz sine wave is played into the right ear and a 325 Hz one into the left ear, the brain is entrained towards the beat frequency 10 Hz, in the alpha range. Since alpha range is associated with relaxation, this has a relaxing effect "