Notices

Trouble swallowing food withdrawels

Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Trouble swallowing food withdrawels

I went on a bit of a bender Thursday night woke up hungover edgy and anxious yesterday.
Sometimes when iam really hungover/withdrawing I find it hard to swallow food but yesterday at about 10pm I tried to eat some toast and it felt like I was choking onit I got panicky my heart was racing etc it was even hard tomswallow my seliva I think this is anxiety from the alcohol withdrawing but today it is still there not as bad but I keep thinking about it and when eating I have to concentrate to swallow, just another beautiful thing alcohol does to me..

Anyone else had anything similar? Iam sure it will pass with the withdrawels iam on day 2.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had this not so much during withdrawl/hangover, but in general when anxiety gripped me while drinking and I didn't know why. I could hardly drive, eat food, flinched at noises etc.
I felt like I was choking, could not breathe, felt my limbs go numb etc -

After day 2 or 3 of not drinking - all this went away. I eat like a normal person, alone when I have to, which was a big problem (I thought if I ate during the rare times I had an appetite, around people and I choked, they might 'save' me). I drive on the highway - again, like a bat out of hell instead of crawling at 50 mph in the slow lane with white knuckles.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You're pretty early in withdrawal. You're likely to have other unusual symptoms, and they're nothing unusual. That's why we go on and on here about seeing a doctor.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Trouble swallowing is often due to alcohol-related esophageal varices or even hemorrhaging, which can be fatal. However none of us can diagnose you, time to get your rear to the Dr.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's best to see a Dr if it's concerning you, LH.

D
Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've had trouble swallowing. It was a body thing - not anxiety. My mental state was fine. Yeah, in fact the routine swallowing of saliva that we do all day long has, at times, become difficult for me. I'd think, 'I really should cook some broccoli,' but I knew that I wouldn't be able to finish a whole serving before I would be unable to swallow any more. And cooked broccoli warmed over is never as good as the first time around.

Oh, and I've had the flinching at noises. Just the sound of my refrigerator coming on when I'm lying in bed can make me flinch, or a tiny creak in the house. What a thenthitive boy.

If I'm walking down the street and suddenly a dog behind a fence that I didn't see barks, I've been known to almost have a heart attack.

As for seeing a doctor, I went to a free clinic to address the fallout from a seizure, and after describing my routine, his medical advice was, "you're an alcoholic. You need to stop drinking." I could have told him that.

But he did point me in the right direction, and now I have the state health coverage and I'm going for a CT scan this Tuesday to see if there's something else going on with my brain. I think I won't have to pay for it. If the results are inconclusive, I may have to have an MRI and those are really expensive. Again, I think it will be covered.

It was a lot of work to get this coverage (dozens and dozens of hours), so I get a little frustrated when people suggest that you "see your doctor." Not everyone has one or can afford one.

That being said, you might want to "see a doctor" if you can. The other alternative is to tough it out and see if the symptoms subside. It sounds like the anxiety is alcohol related and maybe it will reduce to a manageable level if you don't go on another bender.

Whatever the case, I shouldn't be giving medical advice. I'm just pointing out the options.