Notices

Went to my first AA meeting and ...

Old 01-17-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to my first AA meeting and ...

It was awesome. Very personable group, only 7 of us. Got a number from a lady she said I could go to a different meeting with her next week.

Really happy I went. There are actual people ( moms and dads!) like me, staying sober. Binge drinkers like me.

It was so scary and also a relief. I like that I may have to be a bit more accountable now. And I actually spoke my name and said I'm an alcoholic. I said it to people and they could hear me, and they didn't tell me no like my family often does ("no your crazy, of course your not an alcoholic" "you just had a few too many" blah blah... Denial!)
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions to go, you were all right. It's a good step for me, I think!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

pretty wild,eh? i was completely amazed. sonce we had a detox in town here and the clients would be brought to the meetings, i heard a lot of what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now meetings. i was completely amazed hearing the people with sobriety, people i had never met, telling my story. it wasnt the drinking thing that i was amazed at, it was the thinkin thing!
then i got the big book real quick. i was completely amazed that a book written on alcoholism, one published 28 years before i was born, had me in it!!!

keep goin back and dont be afraid to pick up the phone and call!

and dont be concerned. we wont break out any aliens any time. i really thought my sponsor was an alien. there was no way someone could be that serene and peaceful all the time. found out it was the spiritual experience he had by working the steps and he was just another alcoholic like me.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hope this is the point in your journey where success and sobriety is yours. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad to hear you had a good experience. AA has been such a saving grace for me. You will meet many wonderful people like at SR
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

So glad you had a great meeting!! I always cringe when someone happens to hit a not-so-good meeting. They are out there, but in my experience pretty rare. And even a great group can have an off night. You'll see. LOL, I hear people say that if you like EVERYONE you meet at an AA meeting, you aren't making enough meetings!

But the key is that it really IS principles above personalities. There are people I don't feel particularly warm-n-fuzzy toward that I still listen to in meetings--if they are working the program, they often command my respect, if not my complete affection, lol.

Keep comin' back!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Hope this is the point in your journey where success and sobriety is yours. Good luck.
Thanks doggonecarl, I now you have encouraged me for a long time to go and try something else. I think it will help me.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
So glad you had a great meeting!! I always cringe when someone happens to hit a not-so-good meeting. They are out there, but in my experience pretty rare. And even a great group can have an off night. You'll see. LOL, I hear people say that if you like EVERYONE you meet at an AA meeting, you aren't making enough meetings!

But the key is that it really IS principles above personalities. There are people I don't feel particularly warm-n-fuzzy toward that I still listen to in meetings--if they are working the program, they often command my respect, if not my complete affection, lol.

Keep comin' back!
Thanks. I did learn a lot about the people there because there were so few of us, and they all reminded me "one day at a time, one hour if need be. Just get through today." And the lady was so encouraging, and told me to call her whenever and she could show me around other meetings.
I like the idea of having a phone number now! A life line.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
So glad to hear you had a good experience. AA has been such a saving grace for me. You will meet many wonderful people like at SR
Thank you, I hope I do.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
pretty wild,eh? i was completely amazed. sonce we had a detox in town here and the clients would be brought to the meetings, i heard a lot of what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now meetings. i was completely amazed hearing the people with sobriety, people i had never met, telling my story. it wasnt the drinking thing that i was amazed at, it was the thinkin thing!
then i got the big book real quick. i was completely amazed that a book written on alcoholism, one published 28 years before i was born, had me in it!!!

keep goin back and dont be afraid to pick up the phone and call!

and dont be concerned. we wont break out any aliens any time. i really thought my sponsor was an alien. there was no way someone could be that serene and peaceful all the time. found out it was the spiritual experience he had by working the steps and he was just another alcoholic like me.
Thanks. I wanted to call her when I got home, lol. Just to say thanks. Call tomorrow.
I am reading the big book online!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

that's awesome Mammy

D
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mammy,
You sound good ! I'm sure it feels good to connect with other parents. I too hope this is the turning point for you....I know how badly you want sobriety. You and your children deserve it.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
Mammy,
You sound good ! I'm sure it feels good to connect with other parents. I too hope this is the turning point for you....I know how badly you want sobriety. You and your children deserve it.
Thank you, I feel good and very encouraged!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you! I just went to my 3rd (in a row, gonna make it 4 in a row tomorrow).
Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's great. I'm working all weekend, hoping to go on Sunday to a different location.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Collect phone numbers (of women) at the meetings you go to. At some point in every meeting for the first couple of weeks or so, introduce yourself, say you are new and would like some phone numbers. At our meetings we pass around a list for new people.

You want a bunch of numbers so there is ALWAYS someone to call if you need help, or just need to talk, and so you will get to know people. It's good to get in the habit of making even a quick call every day--someday, when you are in a bad place, it will be much easier to pick up the phone if you've gotten into the habit.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great Job! Keep coming back!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I love your excitement to be sober,
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

I put on my trench coat and I often put a paper bag over my water bottle when I go.....

Just kidding! My meeting today looked like a PTA meeting.

Glad you went!! Keep coming back!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Mammy,
I too think you very much may have made the turn. I have read your posts here from the beginning and agree that for one who wants it badly it is about time. I had a terrible first meeting in a rehab I volunteered for and quit rehab when they said it was not an option to skip them. I immediately jouned here and a week later tried AA again after hearing the same thing here. But I only took a week to try it again. AA helped me save my life.