Neuroplasticity and Negative Habits

Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Neuroplasticity and Negative Habits

So I checked out some books on neuroplasticity on Amazon and have the general gist of it . . .

I think this relates to the thread I started earlier this week asking for recommendations for "positive" forums . . .

I have a history of negative thinking, which I am consciously trying to break AND I need a social group so I keep coming back here.

I am doing lots of other positive practices in my life - like listening to YouTube videos while I am doing dishes on uplifting channels (I love Lilou Mace's "Juicy Living Tour" where she interviews interesting people all over the world - on that note, if interested, check out this guy named Michael something who wrote "Hard Knocks" - his tale of being a homeless alcoholic - it is very inspiring - she interviewed him so you can find him on her channel) . . .

I can be very complain-y - like today, I woke up sad and crying and tired - I could talk about that, but instead, I am going to listen to positive affirmations (there is a video on YouTube "500 Positive Affirmations," and it always cheers me up), and it's a beautiful day where I live, so I will get outside, etc. I have a New Year's collage I can work on . . .there are a lot of positive activities I can do.

I had mentioned on another thread that I actually found myself yelling at a customer service person on the phone yesterday - not good - and this morning I had a dream I was yelling at someone else - and then woke up crying - so I obviously have some strong emotions to release . . .

But getting back to neuroplasticity - every time I reject a negative thought and "change the channel" to a positive thought or activity, I am retraining my brain . . .and I like that I can do that.

So thank you to the people who mentioned it and also the people who mentioned chanting.

I was privy to an absolute miracle that was produced through chanting, so I need to remind myself that that is also a powerful healing tool.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Brain Science and Mindfulness Meditation Create a Healthy Brain

I am seeing a lot of stuff come out of this group (and they are having some of the top trauma therapist presenting.

I thought you might be interested. It is not all on neuroplasticity, but it is all related to brain changes etc.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Seek,

Thank you for your post. I too am working on changing my brain b/c I am a negative thinker too. For so long, STBXAH had beaten me down emotionally and mentally by telling me all of the horrible things I was doing in our marriage and why he couldn't be with me. I doubted my own feelings! My confidence waned, my strength diminished, I seemed so insignificant to him.

I am working on establishing boundaries and positive affirmations for myself and backing those up with action: I will not be small; I know what I'm talking about; I am smart; I will not equivocate when I speak (not using "like", etc.).

I'm not kidding, it really has made a difference just in these last few days. I had a meeting with my attorney today. In the past, I may have waffled a bit about how to proceed or what to say, but not today. I felt so self-assured. Having those affirmations in writing for me to look at, a small step, but positive.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for that link, SR. Changing neuropathways is wildly fascinating, whether done through CBT or meditation or chanting (or combination of all). I'm with you guys, attempting to reframe my (former!) negativity and retrain my brain to be positive. *Choosing* to be positive is so powerful!

One funny little thing, somewhat related: I found I was getting more and more angry at other drivers. I'd read somewhere that just painting a smile on your face can change neurochemicals, even if it's feigned. Between that and blasting Debussy or Bach, I don't get mad anymore at the things I can't control (other drivers).

It is all powerful stuff. Seek you have some good approaches!