Notices

Garbage Day

Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Garbage Day

This is one of my favorite weekly reminders of why I don't drink any more. When I first found SR I was surprised that the details of my bottle hiding were not unique. Among other things, who the heck takes empty beer bottles to work with them to throw in the dumpster? Ugh.

Never again will I hunt for empty bottles, sneak them into the trash, take the trash to the street, and then, worry until it is picked up that the wind might blow it over or that my wife will find something else to add to the cans after I leave for work. Honestly, I could write an essay on the insane details surrounding the hiding and disposal of my empty bottles. What a relief. I have real things to worry about. That was B.S.

Might I also add that if you hide bottles, moderate drinking should not be one of your goals. That ship has sailed, so to speak.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There was just a thread on this the other day, but it does bring back memories. I only drank beer so I was hiding cans instead of bottles. I would hide the full ones in my trunk or this old utility cabinet in the garage, even though my wife knew full well exactly where they were. The empties I would stash inside our weber kettle grill until the top would not close anymore, then find some excuse to go somewhere and drop them off at the recycling center ( and pick up another 12 pack on the way home ). Again, trying to be sneaky but my wife knew the whole process the whole time.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

We were really fortunate--curbside recycling started here in 2013, and we quit drinking in November 2012. Otherwise, everyone in the neighborhood would have seen all our bottles.

I used to be the guy at work who had to go through the dumpster and figure out who was dumping their trash. So one tip for those who are still in the sneak-and-hide phase: don't throw away bottles along with things that have your name and address on it.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
...I would stash inside our weber kettle grill until the top would not close anymore..
That is a good one.

I felt bad about the recycling. I think it is important to recycle, but my sneaking would not allow it. I wonder how many bottles (beer in a bottle for me) I threw away. Thousands I'm sure. Felt bad about it, but it didn't stop me.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by veryready View Post
Might I also add that if you hide bottles, moderate drinking should not be one of your goals. That ship has sailed, so to speak.
Haha, quite. I lived alone and I still managed to have to hide bottles. And I stopped recycling too because once a friend put an empty in my recycling bin before I could stop her. I've never been so embarrassed!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by veryready View Post
That is a good one.

I felt bad about the recycling. I think it is important to recycle, but my sneaking would not allow it. I wonder how many bottles (beer in a bottle for me) I threw away. Thousands I'm sure. Felt bad about it, but it didn't stop me.
We actually live less than a mile from a recycling station, so it was easy for me to go out in the morning before leaving and throw whatever I had in the trunk and drop them off on the way to work. The perfect scenario at the time...
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Ahh, the days of wine and trash...

We used to have to take our bottles to the waste transfer station several miles from here. We would wait until we had a full pickup truck load, then hope there were no cops around when we dumped it all.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Ha. My room was littered with opened up baggies that once contained cocaine. They were hidden in dvd cases, cd cases, in books, under the floorboard, in pockets, in games consoles, under carpets, in boxes that were inside of other boxes.....but obviously I didn't have a problem lol.

Natom.