Notices

im young and want to be sober

Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

im young and want to be sober

I do believe i have a drinking problem and at least i admitt it , What do you do when you crave it so badly???? and when i say crave not just mentally but physically my body wants the buzz, and its driving me nuts ive been 3 days sober, yes only 3days and im proud but at times of the day ( nights are worse) i want a drink, how did you or someone you know deal with the craves ? thank you
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR and congrats on your 3 days. Do you have support or a plan.

Posting and reading here is a great help and myabe see a Doc and tell them honestly whats going on
Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

This technique was useful for me - it might help you too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Support was pretty important too - are you thinking about face to face support like AA or some other group?

D
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Take it one day at a time. The days and nights get easier. Just don't drink no matter what. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Don't drink. It's not an option. You have to stick with that. Walk around in circles, cry, scream, STAY ON SR until you fall asleep - but whatever you do....don't drink.

Glad you're here. It's one day at a time.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It helps me when I usually call someone and I have learned that if I keep busy when the cravings come then they eventually subside. Also I pray when they are bad and it helps. Keep posting.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Btw congrats on 3 days
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Keep busy. Any hobbies you never got around to! Books you want to read?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You're ahead of where I was at 3 days. I don't think I was aware of how badly I was feeling for the first week, but by then it was pretty much over.

I was doing a therapy thing 5 days a week and remember little from those first weeks in the circle of 20, many of whom would admit to drinking when it was just us outside the building. I felt really jumpy and strange without drinking, but I'd decided to tough out the whole 6 weeks without a drink or drug.

Just before the Therapy course ended I got involved with AA and things finally began to smooth out from there. I couldn't have stood feeling as I had felt while I toughed out those first weeks for much longer without drinking. It's been a long and interesting journey since, not having to drink or wanting to.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Exercise. Just put your boots and coat on and go for a walk. Leave your money at home so you dont slip up and head to the store for booze.

The hardest thing to do is admit you have a problem and you are past that now. This community can and will support you through your transition and this is the place to come to squash your cravings and lean on someone (or a bunch of us).

You have probably heard this before but it bears hearing again......
you are a young man and have 90% of your life ahead of you. A life w/o alcohol will be INFINITELY better than the life of a lifelong drinker.

I know, I have been drinking since I was 16 and I am 54. All those years controlled by the beast were a waste of my youth, young adulthood and into (dare I say it.....) Middle age.

Do yourself a BIG favor and do your best to follow through with sobriety. It wont be easy but it is the most IMPORTANT battle you will ever fight.

Now is the time that you can eliminate the cycle of pain caused by alcoholism. Now you can stop hurting yourself and others around you. Now is the time to eliminate future regret and remorse.

Wish I could to travel back in time to my early 20s with the knowledge I have now.... I'm glad that you have the opportunity right in front of you.

Read the accounts of some of us and keep posting. We are here to help and many of us have lifetimes of experience with alcohol to share.

Best Wishes
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I'm 23. Get sober now. I hear too many people say they wasted their 20's and 30's to addiction and alcoholism. If we can get it now we're golden.

Natom.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Howyoudoing10 View Post
I do believe i have a drinking problem and at least i admitt it , What do you do when you crave it so badly???? and when i say crave not just mentally but physically my body wants the buzz, and its driving me nuts ive been 3 days sober, yes only 3days and im proud but at times of the day ( nights are worse) i want a drink, how did you or someone you know deal with the craves ? thank you
For me, it's often what I *don't* do that keeps me sober. Here are a few:

-I don't go to the liquor store or beer store
-I don't go to bars
-I don't go to drug dealers houses, or call them
-I don't hang around my old drinking buddies

Usually that takes care of most of my problems. Add a few meetings a week in there, and usually, I'm good to go. Just keep busy. What did you enjoy before drinking? I mean, surely you enjoy other stuff besides partying? And another thing: Meet other sober people. That's why I go to meetings. Because I don't know where else to meet other sober people.

And you can always come here. This is a great website as well. Like they say:

"Where there is a will, there is a way."

Take care, and good luck!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group. I made my first post yesterday, and I'm about one hour from completing my second day without a drink. It's a great feeling, and one that I've had very little experience with the past 20+ years. I've been actively trying for more than half of those 20 years to quit drinking (I'm in my early 40s now). My communication with this group over the past 36 hours has likely given me the edge that I've needed to refrain from drinking.

I appreciate all of the comments that I've received directly or read on posts like yours, but Hope4Life's reply to your post hits the nail on the head for me.

Thank you for the opportunity to make this post, my first reply to a post that another person has started on this site. As you can probably tell, this is therapeutic for me.

Keep on quitting, and best of luck.