Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Does Facebook Negatively Affect You? Especially in Early Sobriety…

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I disconnected facebook from my phone last night and felt pretty happy and stable all day. When I got home tonight I checked it on my computer and started feeling sour afterwards. Its like seeing the highlights of everyone else’s day, or their facade of what their life is like. Everyone trying to impress everyone else or something. In addition, I still get event invitations to occasions that involve alcohol.

It made me wonder if other people opted to deactivate their accounts during early sobriety? Or if facebook got under your skin early on like this?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Anyting I do obsessively is not good for me. I use facebook but limit my use. In early days I just used SR day and night for a few years and meetings and spent time with my peers.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I deactivated mine. Find it much easier to focus on my own life. Many of my friends also post plans and pics of party time during the weekend...can do without that for now
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just find now I am much less interested in Facebook now than when I was drinking.
I simply find it a waste of time now........I get in, read a few things and get back out, I rarely post now.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I deactivated mine and feel a lot better for it. I've met a good few people in meetings who say the same thing. For me, pictures of people partying didn't really bother me. I just have a huge tendency to compare myself negatively to others and fb really feeds that tendency. Hope to go back on it at some point!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe I am also comparing myself negatively to others and feeling like they are having fun and I'm not. Which is terrible, I know. Things aren't always as they seem... Its also like I want to focus on myself and I don't even want to know what everyone else is up to. I need a disconnect. Going on there automatically makes me nosey. I'm going to deactivate it for a little while I think.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I actually cancelled my Facebook page a couple years back. Even then when I was drinking I decided it was nothing more than a colossal waste of time. I don't miss it in the slightest
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Facebook can be useful. For me its not the tools, but the way I use or abuse them.

For instance I dont think drugs are bad, I just cant use them at all but others can and many of them help people get well and stay well.

Recovery is my answer and I first found the tools I needed here then NA and now I find and now I find them along the way and use them all to heal and grow.

So I dont blame people places and things anymore (well I do sometimes briefly!) I look at how I am and use the tools I have been given

Lecture over
Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Stick with SR and leave that other website alone for a long while.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a love hate relationship with FB. I like keeping in contact with people, but I feel the same as all of you do. I de activate mine sometimes and agree its a complete waste of time. I have so many pics on there I need to get off, any suggestions on how to do that quickly?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I deleted mine the day I decided to get sober over 5 months ago, I always felt I compared myself and my life negatively to others when I used FB. I haven't looked back, I believe FB is a waste of time and although you shouldn't judge your "behind the scenes" with everyone elses "highlight reel" I find that I do and am far better off not having to put myself through it!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by janiebluebird View Post
Maybe I am also comparing myself negatively to others and feeling like they are having fun and I'm not. Which is terrible, I know. Things aren't always as they seem... Its also like I want to focus on myself and I don't even want to know what everyone else is up to..
You're right in that things aren't always as they seem. We tend to compare our insides with their outsides. If they seem happy, they must be happy, and I'm not happy, etc. It's not fair to myself, nor to the other person, when I compare. I was (and still do sometimes) always comparing myself to others, measuring up where I was to others, and I always ended up on the short side of things. And for what end? Self-pity? To put others on pedestals? To continue to whittle away at what little self-esteem I had? It was pointless. The only person I should compare myself to is me...and how to improve all the time.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I really like FB, it's a major connection between me and a number of people.

I keep my friend list tight, meaning I don't have people on there who I don't care about what's going on in their life, or who's contributions aren't as asset to me.

If being a FB friend with someone isn't good for me, I unfriend them.

For a few years I lived in a very remote area where my phone got poor reception and there was a very limited community.

FB was vital for me to keep in regular contact with many people in my life.

Funny thing is that when I moved out there , there were no NA meetings, and I found out that I didn't miss the drama that seemed rampant in my groups. On FB it's' very easy for me to control who I am in contact with and limit the drama. I found that near impossible in real time meetings.

SR has been much more beneficial to my recovery, than face to face, and I DO consider it a form of social networking, it's just a very focused form.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I am the same as Scott. I joined and quit facebook several years ago. It was started as a college frat/popularity/status social site at a college. My goodness! I left HS and popularity crap behind decades ago! FB is like those Christmas letters some folks send out with the pictures and all their achievements that year.

I believe my life is going to reflect what I take into it. FB has no place on my pooter or in my life.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Pooter Itchy....giggle
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I personally have never understood the appeal of Facebook. I deactivated my account a long time ago. I think people put out way too much info on it!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You know what is crazy, I was just on facebook and it was pissing me off so I came here. And then I saw this post. So I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think Facebook is awful, it's the pinnacle of narcissism and a lot of other really negative, ugly aspects of human life. I deleted mine around three years ago I think, maybe it's been longer, I never regretted it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Filters

I believe in filtering out anything that is negative in my life and facebook was one of them. I set boundaries with people and with what I will allow into my head. I am a lot calmer and at peace because of it today. I have choices today.
I don't have to tolerate anything if it messes with my recovery and peace of mind.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think I am going to pretty much strip my page to the bare minimum and leave it, that way if anyone wants to get in touch with me through there it can come to my email, and then I am going to take the app off my phone and be done with it. Sounds like a perfect solution, in my case anyhow!