Notices

Recurring drunk dreams

Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Recurring drunk dreams

Wow. I just woke up after having another nightmare. I dream I have relapsed. Im drunk and hiding it from everyone at AA and my wife. I never hid drinking from anyone in my active alcoholism. Its weird. Its easy to forget this dream till tomorrow night. Thats why I havent talked to my sponsor about it yet. Yesterday I hardly thought about drinking at all. Yet this dream persists.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Yeah it's a real drag. I find they come and go. Luckily nothing last night, but the night before I dreamed I was slamming absolute vodka, and just awash with feelings of regret and despair.

The good news is it's only a dream, that darn AV is just playing tricks on you. After the day fully starts I've usually forgotten about it.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Another thought came to mind as I showered this morning. The AV is like Freddy Krueger now just locked away in my dreams. It can only hurt me there but its not real unless I take that first drink in reality to allow it back and out of the dream.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In our subconscious.

I've had a couple of dreams lately that I found not too flattering to myself as well. They definitely show my "defects and shortcomings". I guess I have more work to do .... I'm going to read Step 11 again in the 12&12

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Fallow.... I had a drinking dream the other night. It's unsettling to think we dream of this sh!t and live it as well. Night and day. But you are correct. Let's keep it in the only place it may show its head..... Dreams....

Just know that we are living the dream we once thought was not possible..... Sobriety!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Shake it off Fallow, let it go, it was only a dream. I had a horrible one the night before last, I relapsed on cigarettes as well. Eeeeek!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
Wow. I just woke up after having another nightmare. I dream I have relapsed. Im drunk and hiding it from everyone at AA and my wife. I never hid drinking from anyone in my active alcoholism. Its weird. Its easy to forget this dream till tomorrow night. Thats why I havent talked to my sponsor about it yet. Yesterday I hardly thought about drinking at all. Yet this dream persists.
Hi Fallow,

Guess what after 25 years of sobriety I STILL have those nightmares, LOL!

But for me those dreams make me realize how lucky I am to still be sober when I wake up. Still wake up seating, but you know they say dreams have their own meaning, and very seldom does it have anything to do with the content of the dream, rather the subconscious sorting things out in our real life.

As large a role as alcohol has played in our lives it is bound to continue surfacing in our dreams from time to time. It is a great feeling to wake up and know it is only a dream. Maybe these dreams are there just to remind us how far we have come.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Seems normal that if one spent a lot of time drinking it'll happen in dreams. I know it has for me during sober times also...would wake up a bit fearful, but then very relieved and more committed to sobriety.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Whilst I don't like my using dreams I once had one so vivid that I woke up full of shame and guilt and thought I had blacked out and relapsed. I hadn't...but for about 3 seconds I felt exactly the same way as I have done when I had relapsed in the past. It was beneficial to me. Reminded me why I was clean.

Natom.