Notices

Day 3

Old 01-16-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

I had been drinking every day for the last year or so and over time the amount each day seemed to increase. I got tired of always being hung over, feeling unhealthy and lazy, not able to do work around the house. I'm 23 and have been drinking like this for about four years. I was never the kind of person who could have one or two drinks with friends and leave it at that. Once I started I wouldn't stop until I was asleep or "passed out". I guess I was using drinking as a way of avoiding my issues with depression. Drinking always made me forget any bad feelings until the next day when I would have to do it all over again. I don't have any real friends other than my sister and my partner. I'm okay with that.

Aside from still wishing I could be drinking, I just feel extremely irritable and a little overly emotional. Since I haven't really been drinking all that long, I hope that this will pretty much be the worst of it. I do feel good about not drinking, but part of my brain is still trying to convince me I will never stay sober and I may as well give up now. A big motivator for me is becoming physically and mentally healthy. I hope that my relationship will improve. However, he does still drink. It hasn't been a problem yet. I think my cravings would still exist even if there weren't beer in the house.

I'm feeling kind of stupid being so young, having not been drinking very long. I guess I'm comparing my situation to those who have quit drinking after twenty years of having a serious problem with alcohol. Is there anybody else with a similar problem to mine?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

The difference between you and someone like me, who drank for thirty-something years, was I was too stupid or stubborn to think I had a problem with alcohol at 23 so I did nothing about it.

Don't wait 30 years to confirm you should have gotten sober now.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh mercy. You have gotten a handle on your issue while young. Good for you! Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

4 star day dream, think i'll buy me a football team

stupid? heck no! it's very smart of you to catch it so early. you are doing great, don't give up! i can't imagine it being easy for someone your age to avoid social situations where there is alcohol. you'll find a ton of support here though, welcome aboard!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you're stupid at all - like others have said stupid is drinking another 20 years...

welcome to SR newcarcaviar

D
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I think 23 is an excellent age to quit drinking.

Originally Posted by newcarcaviar View Post
...I'm comparing my situation to those who have quit drinking after twenty years...
I wish I quit for good after just 20 years.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR Good to have another Floyd lover here.