Notices

Here Goes ...

Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here Goes ...

Hello, all

There is so much that I want to say, but I will keep it brief and to the point.

I have been drinking since shortly before I left home for college 23 years ago. I was not prepared in any way, shape or form for life outside of the one-stoplight farm town in which I was raised. Undisciplied, no direction, poor student, etc. But I was good at drinking. I realized that I had a problem about 15 years ago, and have been trying to quit since that time, and really trying to quit for the past 10 years. Day after day after day after day after day after day ...

I want to reach my potential. I want to be the best person that I can be. I have two young children, and I don't want them to go through this. My wife and I want our daughters to be much more prepared for the real world than we were.

Simply put, I want to be best person who I can be for myself, my family, my friends and for my community.

My goal for today is to not drink alcohol.

Thank you for reading my words and for any advice/support that you might be willing to give.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.
With respect...you have been "trying" for 10 years...what makes you think that setting a goal for today is going to be any different?
What I'm asking is "do you have a plan for recovery or just another "try"?
Making a more earnest effort at the same thing that hasn't worked for 10 years.....well....you know.
I don't mean to be cocky, these are just some of the "wake the hell up" things that were told to me, when I said many of the things that you just did.
Find a program of recovery and do what is suggested ..... please. It doesn't sound like your best efforts work very well.

All the best.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi AprilSun, now that you're really determined for the best of reasons you have a chance of success. Some practical suggestions seeing I'm not too flash on the spiritual side...
Have some strategies to deal with your cravings. Be aware of when they are the strongest (usually there is a time of the day when you would normally reach for the bottle) and have some strategies in place to deal with them.
Don't allow yourself to get too stressed hungry or tired.
Seek support from your doctor, AA if that's your thing, your support network of friends and family.
Replace drinking with some activity you and the family enjoy.
Add up the money you save. Maybe do something fun with it.
Enjoy waking up in the morning with a clear head and feeling proud of yourself.
Let your friends and supporters on SR know how you go.

All the best.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Bruce...I did a lot of "trying"....I tried three times in one day once. I ended up in rehab...Flat broke...(a brother payed for it...Still paying that back.)...I had lost my wife...My house...My job.....And the question was asked to me by my counselor...What was I willing to do to get alcohol out of my life for good?....my answer was anything. She gave me a Big Book of AA...Had me commit to doing 90 meetings in 90 days...Getting a sponsor and working the steps. A year and a half later I haven't had to pick up a drink....So ask yourself....What are you willing to do?...to get alcohol out of your life for good.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to a very supportive site. :ghug3
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the input and the support. Just dropping in for a moment ... would love to respond to a few things, but I'm just coming up for air for a few minutes following one of my daughter's after-school activities (which I help to coach), and just before my other daughter's basketball practice. See you later ... wish me luck, although I'm feeling confident that I'll stay dry today. If so, it will be my fourth day (total) in the past two or three years. Maybe 40 or 50 days without a drink over the past decade? Geesh ...
Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR AprilSun x
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome AprilSun! It's so great to meet you.

I drank all my life & tried many times to manage it. Unfortunately, I had to crash & burn before I realized I had to stop all together. So much wasted time trying to use willpower alone. Glad you understand you need more support to quit. You've made a wonderful decision for yourself & your family.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome AprilSun

no disrespect intended to other posters, but joining a community like this made all the difference for me...being exposed to different ideas, knowing I wasn't alone and that others understood really helped me

why not join our Class of January thread?

D
Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey AprilSun, keep coming back here, this site is awesome!! I think your original post said a lot, even as brief as it was, as to how you got to where you are now. At least you can see that, that is a good thing.

What have you done or sought out to help your recovery? Meetings? Have you ever thought of going to treatment? Maybe even finding a therapist who specialized in alcoholism and addiction? There are many things you can try.

Anyway, welcome to SR, and hope to see you around.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I always thought I was only good at drinking.
A lot of others though that, probably more than I would of liked.
With SR, in 27 days, it will be one year since my last drink!

So now I am happy to report I am good at not drinking!

It takes hard work, being determined, knowing what you want.

I had to make changes to my life.
I got off the sofa, smashed my favourite glass, went another way home from work to avoid the booze shop and got busy. Some nights I tidied, went for long drives with loud music, posted and read here, organised and exercised.
But I did it and I am doing it!

Its yours for the taking if you want it my friend!

My best to you
Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 2 ... So far, so good

Hello, all. I've been so busy to day that I'm making myself stop and check in, if only to say "Thank You" again and to give myself a little boost. This is only my second day, and I can say with certainty that I would have a drink in my hand if not for this group. Day 1 was easy -- I was really geared up for it, and I introduced myself to this group. I was hoping that my momentum would carry me for a few days ... foolish thought -- I haven't had a drink, but I sure have thought about it. Anyway, best of luck to you all and I look forward to posting an update soon ... regardless of my status!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Your goal for today is not to drink. That should be your goal for tomorrow, and the day after that. Keep going, one day at a time.

Natom.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep on here is the best advice, it helps focus and you can see its open to all types of drinkers and your story is common though you don't say how much you drank like me you wanted to give up for years , and so far apart from a rocky start it's been the best single thing I've done for myself ever.
Good luck is your partner aware ?
So much easier if they are.
John.